Mr and Mrs

Katherine

I nervously pace back and forth in the room that I wait in for my cue. I've never been nervous before. I don't like the way it feels. There's a knock on the door. Kaleb walks in.

"Jesus, love." He whispered. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." I replied.

"I'm proud of you, sister. You've accomplished so much in your time here. I wish I was as good as you. But I am finally happy for you." He smiled at me.

"I'm sorry. For everything." I looked down. "I'm a bitch to everyone but to you....it's not okay the way I treat you. Perhaps I'm a little jealous of you. You are able to actually be happy meanwhile I'm a grinch. I got the hands, you got the sincerity."

"I forgive you." He nodded. "For everything."

"Ditto." I laughed.

"All right, I'm going out there. I still don't like your no bridesmaids, no groomsmen rule but you're different." He kissed my cheek. "Recta ma secti."

When we were used we had this insane secret language. We used it when we didn't want anyone to know what we were saying or when we were in trouble and needed the other to come help without anyone knowing what we're saying. We haven't used that since we came to America. What Kaleb said was I love you.

"Recta ma secti." I broke into a wide smile.

He laughed and ran out. I could hear the music began to play. My heart began to race. Nobody came in then. He looked at me.

"In my years of knowing you and your brother, I care for you two morons as if you're my kids. I am honored to walk you down the aisle today. You've grown into a incredible woman." He smiled down at me. "I love you."

"I love you, too." I nodded.

My wedding planner, Rose, ran in and told us it was time. Nobody held up his arm to me and I linked mine with him.

"Just do me a huge solid. Don't kill Brian if he pisses you off." He whispered to me.

"I might just take an eyeball." I shrugged.

He thought about it. "Deal."

The doors opened and I nearly fainted. Thinking Out Loud is playing softly. People rose from their seats and turned my way. I ignored them all and caught Brian's eye. He smiled softly at me and tears ran down his face. He wiped them but they kept coming. Such a little pussy. A huge smile broke out on my face as our feet began to move in the same rhythm. Brian was a complete mess. All I wanted was to be in his arms. In that moment everyone else vanished and it was me and him. I made my way down the aisle. Suddenly Nobody was kissing my cheek and handed me over to Brian. I laughed, tears forming in my eyes but I held them back. Microphones were clipped to the front of our...outfits.

The guy that was our "priest" guy was Tej. He begged us to let him do it. Back in his days in Miami he got his license and got booked a lot to do this. Anything for a dollar.

"We are gathered here today to witness these two love birds get hitched." Tej smiled.

Brian and I laughed.

"They have prepared their own special vows so sit back and relax. This may take a while." Tej told the crowd. "Brian."

"Woooo." He wiped his tears. "Katherine, when I met you, I was assigned to protect you. And when you walked into that office with your hair all crazy, blood all over you, a black eye...I fell in love. Being with you...it's amazing. We argue, we fight, we tease each other but what we have is real, it's pure. I would run through rain, through hail and snow to be with you. I want to grow with you. Have kids with you. Guide you through life because you are the one for me. I can't see how I survived all these years without you and I can't imagine a world without Katherine fucking Howard. You're a legend but most important, you're my legend. I love the fuck out of you." Brian began crying again.

I smiled wider than I already was. Tej turned to me and nodded.

"I'm mean, paranoid and sometimes selfish..." The tears formed again. "But when I'm with you, Brian, I am nothing but happy. You make me want to live my life again, not just kicking people's asses but truly live. You've seen me at my worse and now you're seeing me at my best. I am damaged and you are slowly building me up again. I know spending the rest of my life with you is right." My voice began to crack and the tears began rolling down my cheeks. "You're my person. And I'm going to get angry and scream and maybe even threaten you but I don't want you to push me away like everyone else because I really don't mean it. You don't view me as a monster, you view me as a person and I'm scared I'm going to lose you one day. It terrifies me. I love you more than I love myself, Brian. You make life seem easy. You care about people, you care about me and I know that this is right. We belong together."

Brian wiped my tears. "You're makeup is going to get ruined."

"Fuck off." I laughed.

"The rings, please." Tej spoke up.

Dom handed Brian my ring and me Brian's.

"Katherine, Brian." Tej thought for a moment. "Bratherine. I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Brian and I slip each other rings on our fingers. Brian looked in my eyes.

"You may kiss your bride, man." Tej patted Brian's shoulder.

Brian held my face and kissed me passionately. Time stood still as our lips moved together. I clasped on to his shoulder, becoming breathless.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you, too." I smiled wide.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" Tej announced. "Mr and Mrs O'Connor!"

The crowd stood and we got a huge applaud. Brian clasped my hand and we walked down the aisle, greeting people and laughing. We looked at each other and I realized that I have never been happier than this moment right here. In this moment, I began to live again.