The Lesser Twin

Kaleb

"I don't understand why! I do everything you ask of me!" I screamed in rage. "I cut back the drinking, I train everyday, I'm on a diet! For fucksake, I'm doing yoga to become more flexible!"

"Going to a party full of drugged up kids is not what you need, Kay! You need to be focused. The bigger picture is that you are a combat opponent. Getting in the habit of hanging with unfocused people will destroy you. Look at your sister in there."

We peered through the door and saw Katherine angrily beating away at a punching bag. She had earphones in.

"She's focused. Most focused person I've ever met. And I've met the president before." Nobody winked at me. "When you get to that level of confidence, self control and accomplish something for once, you'd be able to party and drink. But you are not going to be able to balance your life from your destiny, son. Not right now, anyway. You'll fall into the habit of going out rather than learning!"

I sighed. "Why is she your favorite?"

"Watch her." Nobody turned to walk out. "She's as graceful in skill as she is in a pair of heels at a fancy dinner. She's as intelligent in a fight as she is in a fucking test. She's the daughter we all want."

"And I'm the son no one does." I crossed my arms.

"The day you stop seeing her as competition and as your sister, we will go out and party all night. Gain some confidence." Nobody patted my shoulder. "You have so much potential, son. Stop fighting your destiny."

-

I watched as Katherine angrily punched the swinging bag. She looked sweaty, veins popping, face was really red. She looked like she was trying to hold it together. I watched as the minutes past and her pain left with each hard smack to the bag. I watched as her punches became loose and sloppy and not fully thought out. She was not the favorite in this moment. She was me.

I walked into the gym with my gym bag. I set it down before tapping her shoulder. She turned around and took out her plugs.

"Hey." She panted.

"Katherine Howard? Tired from a punching bag?" I tried my best to joke. I couldn't even crack a smile.

"Gained seven pounds in the past week. I'm fucking up." She admitted. "The only thing I want to do right now is hit something."

"I want to drink." I confessed. "Really badly. So bad it's making my skin crawl. I stay up at night sometimes just shaking and reminiscing on how perfectly the booze would go down. But I can't drink it."

"Why?" She asked, unwrapping her hands.

"Because I've disappointed him enough while he was here. Don't want him to shake his head at me when he's looking down on us." I sat on a bench.

"Why do you always think that someone is thinking negatively of you?" She sighed. "Nobody loves...loved you. He did."

"Not saying he didn't." I pushed my hair back. "He just loved you more. Everyone did and everyone does."

She sat next to me. "Very true. I was always praised for my skills, my intelligence, my ability to block out any emotion and handle my business. But I've never been praised for stopping a mission to make sure an elderly got across the street safely. Never got told how epic it was that I was able to make another person smile. I have always seen you as my better. Has nothing to do with combat but the way you're able to give someone empathy and express love so easily and be a good person with a good heart. You don't let the blood shed on your hands stop you from giving the love and support someone else needs. I'm not shit."

I took in what she said and grabbed her hand softly. "You think we'll ever be okay?"

She stayed quiet for a long time. "Kaleb, that ship has sailed a long time ago. Started with our first kill, then dad, then mom and all the bodies we've wrecked in between. My miscarriage, my abusive relationships, me coming after you....mother disowning me....getting kidnapped and tortured and losing myself....We could stand a chance against anyone in our path. But when it comes to life, we are easily able to knock down. Nobody was the nail on the coffin for me. I got one more fight in me. And that's the fight for my life. For me not to give up. I have to be solid."

"You don't." I shake my head. "It's okay to be weak."

Katherine looked down.

"Katherine, love. You've risked your life for this organization, for this team, for Brian, for the girls and for me numerous times. You've ran in with guns swinging, fists flying. But you've never risked your life for yourself. It's always about saving someone else. But who's saving you? You don't care wether you live or die. You care about those around you. So do yourself a favor and let yourself be weak. Maybe that'll heal you."

I stood and began wrapping my hands in cloth.

"But just so you know." I let out a deep breath. "I'd give my life for yours in a heartbeat. I'd give it all up. Alina, money, cars....all of it would be dropped in your name. Don't tell you that as much as I should, sister. But just know that when you leap, I leap. I'm proud of you." I ruffled her hair. "You are doing good sister."

I left her on the bench to think about what I said as I started to hit the bag.

-

This is just a one time thing....well I have a plan for the end of the book but for right now, this isn't a normal thing.

Just wanted you to see life from Kaleb's eyes just once.

-Chicken Soup 🍜