The Door

Brian

I walked into Kat's office. My dad wanted to plan a dinner soon because Leslie got her high school diploma early. I was excited for her. There's nothing like completing high school and being an adult. Well, until the bills and loneliness kicks in.

"How's eight on Thursday?" I asked Katherine.

"I remember those high school days. The janitor closet..." Katherine began.

"Excuse me!" I held up a hand. "I don't want to hear that."

"Thursday is perfect." She nodded. She began to write it down in her planner. "Alina took the girls out for lunch."

"Can you ask her to get me a salad? I'm starving."

"Okay." Katherine nodded and picked up her phone.

Suddenly there was a shudder in the building. Katherine paused and looked at me. I shrugged. We walked out to the balcony. The building was going into lockdown mode. Were we under attack? I was confused. Then I saw the man by the front desk, pointing a gun at us. My eyes widened and I grabbed Katherine.

We began to dart down the stairs and towards the lower floor where there's a panic room. My eyes were strictly on the sealed door that leads to the room after a series of halls and doors. I didn't realize the team and newbies had all gathered up and ran with us.

"KATHERINE!" A voice called out.

Katherine stopped running and turned around. I stopped, too.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" I screamed at her. "Let's go!"

"They want me. I want to know why." She replied.

"Have you lost your fucking mind?!" Kaleb was frantic. "LETS GO!"

"This is my building, this is my job. Their target is me. Though, I don't know what I did to piss off a team of strangers but then again, I'm Katherine Howard and I'm known for pissing people off."

"WE DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS!" Kaleb growled.

"If you go back, you'll for sure get killed."

"I'm not afraid of dying." Katherine rolled her eyes.

"Yeah? And I'm afraid of living without you. I'm afraid of the girls not knowing what their mother sounded like. This isn't about you."

Katherine took my face in her hands.

"Please." I said to her.

The intruders found us and began shooting a round of bullets. We all ducked behind desks. Katherine took a gun out of her ankle band and began shooting back.

"Get to the door, open it and close it slightly. I will be right behind you." Katherine stated. She took down two officers.

"I'm not leaving you!" I told her.

"Brian, we have to go!" Dom yelled.

"I'm not leaving her!" I repeated.

"I will be fine!" Katherine ducked behind the desk. She reloaded her gun. Her eyes caught mine. "I love you, Blondie."

My words got caught in my throat and my body moved without my permission. We bolted for the door and Kaleb opened it as quickly as he could. We stood inside and kept the door partly open, waiting for Kat to swing it open and hurry in. The thing is, whatever is meant to be in the panic room, can't get out without our backup officials coming and opening it. So closing that door meant breaking a hold of Katherine. I could hear her footsteps approaching the door.

"AH!" Her voice was right outside the door.

The door pushed fully close. My heart rate quickened. I began to pound on the door.

"KATHERINE!" I screamed.

There was some thuds and then silence. Not a gun shot, not a scream, nothing. It was deadly silent. I looked back at the team. They all looked stunned.

"What does this mean?" Lucas asked. He had tears in his eyes.

"It means..." Rome began.

"Don't you dare!" I held up a finger. "She's probably hiding!"

"Brian. She screamed..." Tej said softly.

"I don't care! Until I see my wife's lifeless corpse on the damn ground, she's fine!"

Kaleb sort of cowered back into the wall, a look of shock on his face. "Katherine." He began to breakdown.

"No. No! You don't get to breakdown!" I told him. "She's fine!"

Kaleb put his head in his hands and began to bawl. I turned back to the door. Katherine wouldn't close that door. She wouldn't. They took her.

They fucking took her.

-

🤭

-Chicken Soup 🍜