It's That Time

Brian

I fixed my tie in the full body mirror and looked behind me. Rome was tying his shoes, Tej was shaving and Dom was looking out the window.

"I didn't like his taste in beer. Always had that expensive shit in the cooler. I kept telling him that all he needed was a Corona with a lime." Dom smiled softly. "Fuck the expenses."

I turned around and leaned against the mirror. "He always reminded me that I have a purpose. Didn't matter if it was a regular mission and I got overwhelmed or if I was going at it with Kat. He always made sure my head was clear."

Tej chuckled. "He gifted me with the best technology in the world."

Rome didn't say anything. He just sat there.

"How's Kat?" Tej asked.

"You know how she copes. Pushes it down until something makes her snap. And then the depression." I sighed. "The snap is what's making me the most scared. It's not like this is something that can be fixed. She lost someone that had a severe impact on her life."

Don nodded slowly. My alarm rang. It was time to go and take our places. I slipped on my jacket and we filed out of the room.

-
Katherine

I stared out the window, watching as the leaves on the tree shook gently. I felt an urge to cry and scream but I suppressed it. I heard the door open behind me.

"Katherine?"

I turned my head slightly and saw my mom standing in a black dress and a black veil slightly covering half of her face. She looked upset.

"Haven't seen you in months." I continued staring out the window. "Traumatic events have happened to your kid and you just disappeared."

"I couldn't see you like that. Neither could Nobody." My mother's voice cracked. "But he found the courage to end the problem. We were updated, though, on your every move."

I bit my bottom lip. "You abandoned me."

"Did you see his body?" Mom came closer.

I saw it all too well, felt it. I started reminiscing on that night and sighed.

"No. By the time I got there, the medics had shown and Kaleb was assisting. I only saw him covered." I lied.

Mother handed me a small black box. "These were one of two of his favorite glasses. Your brother has the other pair. Thought it'd be nice to have something of his."

I'd rather have him alive.

My mother began walking to the door.

"You and Nobody ever had sex?" I asked my mom.

She paused and debated about something. "He was my best friend. The only person I trusted after your Father died, the only person I trusted with my kids, the only person I trusted with my life. We never were a thing but that's okay. Because he has a significant place in my heart."

I nodded slowly and Kaleb came in.

"Funeral has started." He was wearing the shades but I could see his tear marks on his cheeks. "We have to taken positions at the podium."

I looked at the two of them and slipped on the shades. Is it weird that I smelled his shampoo?

"Let's go and pay our fucking respects." I sighed and brushed past both of them.

-

Currently dealing with a sore throat 🥺

-Chicken Soup 🍜