Alone

Katherine

Kaleb brushed past me in the dining hall of our home. I was confused but not in the mood for his shit. I was dressed and ready for a day of training. He was taking too long. I guess he was still upset because he couldn't go to that shitty party. Why would he want to go?

"Kaleb, let's go!" I shouted, fed up. "We have thirty minutes."

He shrugged into a jacket. "Where's mum and Father?"

"At the compound. You were taking too long. I'm driving."

Kaleb paused. "Has this been a plan all along?"

"What?" I was getting really heated with him.

"To come here, show off your skills and fists of defeat and then have me booted to the back where I watch you rather than be by your side?"

"What the fuck?" I was appalled.

"Because I see right through that fake ass mask." He stepped closer to me. "You have Nobody wrapped around your finger. You are the golden ticket. Well, guess what? Screw you and him. FUCK YOU AND HIM! Because you are nothing without your fists. You are a broken down bitch with no sense of humanity. You're throwing punches while I'm helping out people. I'm the laughing stock of Nobody Inc. Congratulations, Katherine. You got what you wanted."

"Let's go. We have to get to the gym." I sighed, his words affecting me in ways I wouldn't dare show.

-

"Katherine?!"

I snapped out of my thoughts. Alina was handing me files. She had a gun in her waist and her hair was pulled back.

"Since when did you start officially working here? I mean, aren't the Russians still after you?"

"Since the Russians kidnapped you and Dom allowed me to become a team member rather than your nanny." She began to walk away.

"Do you feel like that's the only way I think of you? A nanny?" I called after her.

She stopped.

"Alina, you're the light at the end of my tunnel." I confessed. "I'm a shitty mother, a bad wife, an unstable boss...I couldn't have made it this far in motherhood without you. So many nights you and I stayed up, putting the girls on a schedule and so many days where you let me nap while the girls were running around because I was losing it. I love you like I love a family member."

She didn't turn. I was feeling so alone.

"I don't know why I'm always receiving the hate." I rubbed my eyes. "If I make the call to blow something up, I'm wrong. If I am stuck in a world where I don't remember who I am, I'm wrong. If I don't want to talk about the soul crushing despair I feel, I'm wrong. I just can't seem to win. I am the boss but I am also the punching bag it seems. I never get the shoulder to cry on or the text asking if I'm okay. I never get the empathy. Just the harsh words from all of you. I'm so over it. Im over this team. Im over this life, honestly."

Alina cleared her throat. "Those files are for the newbies. We've pinpointed their strengths and weaknesses so placing them shouldn't be too hard. I'll give you some time before I pick the files up."

I was appalled. I'm just...I don't understand what I have to do. So expressing myself through mischief is wrong but also expressing myself through genuine words is wrong? Why can't I do something right for once? Why am I not being heard? Maybe I've caused so must havoc within our team that hearing me is the last thing the team wants to do. And once again, I'm the one who is left stranded.

-Short Chapter, sorry

-Chicken Soup 🍜