A Challenge

I was ushered into a big meeting room with seven of the council men already waiting with files in their hands. Ugh. The room was set on the fifteenth floor and I could see the ocean, the highways and I could see the private cemetery where Nobody was placed. I didn't search for his gravestone. I just took a small glance at it. I haven't found the courage to go and visit. It's not like it'll do any good.

"Please sit." Kenneth motioned to a chair.

I did.

"Before we start this meeting, allow me to say congratulations to you and your husband on the new addition-" Another member, Jason Cadred, began.

"Why am I here when I could be at home with my children?"

Ken sighed. "We're looking to strip you of your badge. Your brother Kaleb as well but we're told he's unavailable at this time."

I laughed. "And this badge, I assume, is my honorary badge?"

"That and your combat badge. Also, your position as Mrs. Nobody is being reviewed. Any appointed rights you've been given to Nobody Inc and any other government run operations."

"On what terms?" I frowned.

"Katherine, you've lived in the United States of America since you were a small girl. You showed promise and skill and everything we needed to make any of our missions a success. You were our face of glory."

I listened.

"Your brother has never stood a chance next to you but he was good. If we couldn't have you, we'd rather have him over anyone else. But it seems that in the past two years of your lives, Nobody Inc is no longer the main goal."

I scoffed.

"Let me finish, Katherine." Kenneth hit the table.

I bit my lip because in that moment, that little fit he just threw, made me want to break every tooth in his mouth.

"Marriage was one thing. We were happy that you've found your soulmate and the children came along and even then, you were still focused. Any mission assigned, you were right there. Every single one. And now, Katherine, cases are being placed in your hands everyday and where are they going? Where is your team when the people that are crying out for you are dying senselessly? Where is the Howard's swinging fist and ripping doors off the hinges when you need them? Off getting drunk and going to rehab? Building cradles and decorating baby rooms. We knew that you'd grow into a woman but we don't need a family face on our boards anymore. We need a Nobody. A true blooded Nobody."

"Creating a family, building a space of happiness for myself has always been my biggest fear due to the belief that it would do this company little to no justice. I would be distracted and unstable with all my Mommy emotions building up. And for a while I was all about this job with my three children on my hip and my husband on my lips. And that ripped a hole in my friends, my husband and me. I never cared as much as I did about making it home so my children can see my face before bed or kissing my husband and telling him I love him before the lights turn off. Well, that was until I had to say goodbye to my solid. My anchor was pulled up. I have a million and one things I should've said to him when he was here but I did not. So I do it to those around me. Cases have not been approved due to the fact that Nobody Inc isn't just about bullets and blood. It's about being a resource to low standard organizations. The past month, I've donated over a million dollars into domestic violence shelters and orphanages. Supplied Solvokia with millions of dollars worth of medical supplies and I am in progress of repairing China's military base because they were hit pretty bad. My team has had enough of bloody knuckles and swollen wrists due to emptying a clip into a person's body. Kaleb's way of coping from all the bodies on his hands is a drink that turns into two and turns into ten. We have got to do better as a organization and realize that life is better than death. I have put my blood, sweat and tears into Nobody Inc and the name....it was assigned to me by Jonathan Nobody himself. And I may be pregnant and I may be a mother but I still have a few good hits in me left and if that fails, I have a team. So to conclude this meeting and the nonsense you're carrying on about-"

I made sure to look at all of them.

"I challenge every single one of you to try and take my organization from me. Because the only way you'll see me out of that chair is when I say I am done. Test me if you'd like but just like everyone else, you'll fail. I earned everything that has been placed in my hands. Good or bad. From my position to my miscarriage. I am a Nobody. I will always be a damn Nobody. Screw all of you that think otherwise."