Parting Ways

Nobody

In the long years of my life, I have always followed the most important rule in my line of work. Work hard until it's time to go. And when it is, choose your destiny. And I think I've chose mine.

My destiny was the two morons that stood in front of me. Clearly disheveled and clearly losing it the more I spoke about my upcoming death. My body felt weak, my body was in pain. And I could not for the life of me find anymore strength. Not even in my fingertips. I knew I could not go on like this for weeks to come and then the imagery of my actual death due to this disease. It was not okay. I didn't want that. That was not my destiny. To be defeated by cancer was not my destiny.

"Nobody...you want us to do what?" Kaleb's face got red.

"I need you to kill me." I repeated.

"Are you fucking insane? I'm not going to shoot you."

"Look in my nightstand." I shifted my eyes to it. Kaleb went over to it and pulled out my syringe of poison. "Special little concoction that the lab put together for me in China. Won't feel any pain, won't feel anything. I'll just slip under as if I'm going to sleep."

Kaleb held it in his hands.

"We can not kill you. You still have more weeks." Katherine whispered.

"As a fucking vegetable? No. Absolutely not. I have worked too hard just to be frozen in this bed with no control of my body."

They just stared at me.

"Guys..." I began to cough. "We were all born to die. And this is my time."

Kaleb lost it. He began to cry. Katherine walked over to him and sat him on the bed.

"No." Katherine shook her head. "Please no. Don't make us do this."

"I have met many people, Katherine. And I've never trusted a soul the way I trust you two. Excluding your mother but after all she's been through...You two are killers."

"We only kill people that deserves it."

"Bullshit." I got angry. "Don't make this about you. I can not live like this for weeks. I can not live with this anymore. I am suffering. Every decision you two have made, I backed you up. I did so many horrible things because I support you two! So I am asking you two...I'm demanding you guys to stop being babies and help me go peacefully."

"I'll stop drinking." Kaleb finally stood up. "I'll go back to rehab. I'll start working out. Get better for the team. Katherine got her memory back now. She'll be better at managing her temper, she'll be a better leader...she'll do right by Brian and her kids...we'll change. We could change."

"For a few weeks and then you get the call." I felt my soul breaking. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be."

Katherine had a serious look on her face. I knew she was thinking. This is why I've always cherished Katherine. She always puts logic before personal feelings. She stared at me for a long time as Kaleb begged and pleaded for me to stay alive.

"I never really told you the love I have for you. Not as a mentor but as a father figure." Katherine slowly picked up the syringe.

My heart began to race. Kaleb wipes his eyes. He became aware. He made a move to stop her but she held up a hand at him. He backed down knowing that Katherine would get victory. She always got her victory. Against Kaleb, mobs, terrorists...even me. She always stood tall in the finale stages of battle. And she'll stand tall during this. She'll be the strength while everyone else is weak. If everyone else is weak due to my death. I highly doubted it considering I wasn't that great of a person.

"You gave me my solid." Katherine smiled at me softly. "And through you, I met the love of my life."

I choked back the tears. Kaleb came over and grabbed my hand.

"This is the only way?" Kaleb whispered.

I nodded at him softly.

Katherine took the cap off the syringe and sighed.

"We love you." Kaleb whispered to me. "We love you, Nobody."

"We couldn't have done this without you." Katherine came by me and grabbed my arm. She took a deep breath and stuck it in my arm. It hurt slightly as she pushed down and the medicine went into my body. She extracted the needle and took my hand in hers.

I immediately felt the affects. I grew sleepy. I felt like I was floating.

"My actual name....on my birth certificate is Jonathan." I whispered to them, my throat seizing up.

"Goodbye, Johnathan." Katherine whispered. "We love you."

-

Chicken Soup 🍜