Ultimatum

Brian

The first week with the girls home is absolutely crazy. There's the schedules you must follow then there's the sleep deprivation and then there's the paranoia. I swear, I am like disinfecting everything like twice a day because I would die if my girls get sick. Katherine is just...she's exhausted. I can see it in her face but she doesn't dare admit it. Alina and I try to pressure her into getting some sleep during the day and Alina and I will care for the girls but she insists she's fine. Typical Katherine.

We were doing good until Kaleb came over one night with news of a case. And so Katherine became... well Katherine.

"We basically have to go to this facility about thirty minutes away from Nobody Inc. and steal this chip that contains valuable information." Kaleb explained.

"When?" Kat asked.

"Tonight." Kaleb nodded. "The team wanted to keep it a secret because you guys need to focus on the babies but I feel like you guys are a big part of the team and deserve to know."

"We'll be there." Kat nodded.

"No we won't." I frowned.

"All right, I'll be there."

"Kat, come on. Your stitches aren't even healed yet." I sighed.

"Brian, it's my job." She argued.

"You know most women take time off of work to take care of the baby."

"Am I like other women?" Kat placed her hands on her hips.

I stayed quiet.

"I will be okay, honey." She walked closer to me.

"Baby, I'm not doubting that. But I feel like you should be thinking about the girls right now. If you care about them, even in the slightest bit, you won't go. Be a mom before you are a killer." I said softly.

Something in Kat's eyes died. Like the spark, in a way. She slowly smiled.

"Okay. I'll stay home." She nodded.

"Thank you." I kissed her forehead.

"All right, I'm going upstairs to shower before the girls wake up." Kat walked up.

"Dick move." Kaleb shook his head.

"What?"

"You basically just gave her an ultimatum. Triplets or job." Kaleb told me.

"I gave her an outlook." I disagreed.

"It's none of my business. Just sleep with your eyes open. She might stab you in the Adam's apple in your sleep." Kaleb laughed.

"She's had plenty of reasons to over the years. She'll be alright." I waved my hand.

"How is she doing by the way? Being a new mom and all?" Kaleb asked.

"Honestly, she's doing good. A little worried though. She's barely getting any sleep. And you know Katherine...imagine her not sleeping." I shake my head.

"My mom said she drank probably eight cups of coffee a day when she first had us. Almost like a coffee diet." Kaleb said. "I don't really like coffee, unless it has Baileys in it as creamer. Did you know, in Ireland, they put the booze in their coffee, too?"

"Jesus."

"Listen, drinking is a lifestyle my friend."

"What made you stop? Haven't seen you drunk in a while."

"Brian, I am drunk right now. I'm going to go home and get even more drunk."

"Why are you driving?" I asked him.

"In all seriousness, I drive better when I'm drunk. I'm more aware. I honestly think, I was born to be an alcoholic."

"Kaleb, you are another definition of crazy."

"Ha!" Kaleb laughed.

Alina came downstairs then with a bottle of sleeping pills. I asked her why she had them.

"Kat needs sleep. I make smoothies, put in drink, she get few hours." Alina explained.

"Good idea." I nodded.

"You, Brian. Mango, kale?" Alina asked.

"Yes, thank you."

"Alina, when are you going to put that thing on me?" Kaleb asked.

"When you no drink. Drink make you limp."

"Baby, come to my house right now so we can test that ridiculous theory." Kaleb challenged.

"No thank you, limpy." Alina smiled.

"I love it when she talks dirty to me." Kaleb winked at me. "All right, I'm off to go down a bottle. See you lot later."

"Bye, man. Be safe."

He gave me the finger and walked out.

-

Sorry babies. I've been hella busy lately. Work has been stressful asf, college is making me reconsider my life, my best friend is pregnant and I have to basically be there for her (not complaining), and I had to go back to my old high school to do hair and makeup for the prom and it's my grandma birthday today.

Life has been a complete mess but I'm still here, right? ❤️🧡

Chicken Soup