Its Time To Say Goodbye

Katherine

The Le meurtrier all gathered in a tight space, under the office overlook. I wasn't used to standing under a commander. Even with Nobody in office, I was always the dominant factor. Always. I felt uneasy as we stood there, Alina, Kaleb and I. Dressed in all black, my hair in a tight ponytail and combat boots. I stood in the middle.

The commander was expressing the fact that he doesn't appreciate American soldiers on his land. Nobody Inc was here and ready to fight. Nobody Inc was about to die. I taught them better than to come on the enemy playing field. Idiots! He told us that the Americans will be shown no mercy, no hesitation and to get in position. As everyone started to file out, we were stopped at the door. We must wait to join the fight. We moved to the corner.

"On a scale from one to ten, how brutal do you think this is going to be?" Kaleb muttered.

"Pretty fucking brutal." I waved my hand. "All right, lets get the goodbyes out now."

They simply looked at me.

"We all know that one of us probably won't live through this." I was jittery for some reason.

"You both know how I feel. You both know what I will say."

Alina dropped her hands to her side and grabbed Kaleb's face. She planted a kiss on his lips and looked at him.

"When we make it home, we'll talk about us." Alina promised him.

She turned to me.

"Don't kiss me." I held up a finger. I looked at them. "We're a team. I grew up knowing how to handle my brother. My slow brother who scraped every nerve of mine. And so I'm used to hating Kaleb. Hating, loving and protecting him. I don't know what a sister is. Or at least, I didn't. Never knew what it was like to share curling irons and hormones and all of that bullshit. Never knew what it was like to love outside of my region of comfortability. I need you both. I need you. Brian is my husband and the light of my life but you two are the root of my heart. We're a team. The three of us."

Alina gave me a hug. Kaleb did as well. Kaleb's eyes drifted to the side and opened widely. My head turned to see Nobody Inc filing out of their vehicles. The team definitely grew but they were still not solid. More. Definitely more. There was something missing.

Us three.

Doors were opened and the second in command came through the door, waving his hand for us to walk forward. We did. Someone to the side handed us exquisite guns and pushed us to move through the doors. Towards the battlefield. Towards my husband.