Face To Face

Katherine

I got out of the passenger seat of the black van and hit the hood. The driver, Preston, nodded at me through the glass and said something to the team. The side door opened and they all piled out. I looked at the military van and frowned. They weren't getting out. Preston handed me my gun and I shoot at it twice. It was bulletproof.

"Well? Did you come here to scope us out or fight?" I asked them.

There was still nothing. I cocked my head to the side, confused.

"Get me the grenade launcher." I ordered.

Preston went inside the van and pulled it out. He loaded it quick and easy and handed it to me. I aimed it at them.

"Get out of the car!"

"Our order is to kill them. Not talk." Another girl on my team, Sarah, sighed.

"You, shut the hell up." I growled. Something was telling me not to kill them.

The doors opened and they all stepped out. I remember their names. Kaleb, Dom, Brian, Leticia, Alina, Tej and Roman. And I remember they all had a part in the awful life I lived.

I lowered the launcher and stared at Brian. There was something off.

"We aren't here to fight. We're here to take you home and help you get better." Brian told me.

"Take me home?" I chuckled. "This is my home."

"No. You live in California in a dramatic and expensive house with me and our three kids." Brian continued.

"Are you bonkers? I never had children."

"Actually, you did. Triplets." Alina spoke up. "Ruby, Brooke and Quinn. Three beautiful little girls that have been asking about you everyday for the past three months. Well, not Ruby because she's deaf. That why you know sign language. And you love them more than anything in the world. An enemy of yours kidnapped them and threatened to kill them but you and Brian and the people standing here saved them."

I listened closely, trying hard to remember. I couldn't remember a thing.

"And you are crazy for him." Dom nodded at Brian. "Too many obstacles have been thrown at you two and you constantly bounce back."

I furrowed my brows. "Shut up."

"They are not your team, Katherine. We are. We are devoted to you. That's why we haven't given up on you for three fucking months." Alina stated. "We knew the risks of trying to save you."

"SAVE ME?!" I roared. "I don't need to be saved! I don't need a lecture! I need to kill you so I can report to Bill that I am truly the powerful being he takes me to be."

I raised the launcher, ready to fire.

"Hold on!" Brian shouted.

I hesitated. I was starting to feel that itch again in my head.

"I want you to see something." He pulled out his phone and pressed some buttons.

I sighed, ready to get this over with.

He threw his phone at me and I caught it. I looked at it. I was in a wedding dress, hair done perfect, face full of makeup. I was standing at an alter, holding his hands, looking in his eyes that had tears falling from them. Tej was saying traditional wedding stuff to us and I had a bright smile on my face. And then Brian began saying vows and I did mine and we kissed and blah blah blah.

I felt something that I haven't felt in months. Tears gathered in my eyes for no reason and I held them back. I got overwhelmingly angry. I dropped the launcher on the ground and threw the phone across the field.

"You should've stayed where the fuck you were." I growled.

"Come home." Brian begged.

"I am home." I whispered. I turned to my team. "No weapons. No killing. We weaken them and take them to Bill. They will make great soldiers."

I turned back to Brian and took off my belt with my array of weapons.

"You're coming with us." I lifted my chin.

"Negative." Rome raised a finger.

"I don't want to hurt you." Brian held up a hand.

"Hurt me?" I laughed. "Please."

I lunged at him.