Not What You Think Brian

Katherine

I'm getting ready for battle in the bathroom of the compound when the door opens. I think it's Brian but it's Chase. Fucking Chase. I slipped on my shirt immediately. He leaned against the door, hands in his pockets.

"What do you want? I'm changing." I snapped.

"You ever and I mean ever fucking make a fool of me like that in front of those twits, I'll make sure your girls don't make it out of London's alive." Chase came closer to me.

My heart raced. I looked to my left. My belt with my gun was by the door. There was a knock on the door.

"Baby?" Brian called in.

I opened my mouth but Chase grabbed me by my throat and squeezed. I froze which is something I never do. I'm the type of person that reacts to danger. I don't freeze or flight...I fucking fight. But my body wasn't reacting the way I wanted it to. I was shutting down.

"You think you have it all because you got a fucking promotion?" He hissed in my ear. "I like you, my sweet love, but don't make me turn into an evil bastard."

He pushed my hair back and gave me a kiss on the lips. My eyes opened wide. He let me go and I fell on the ground, panting. Chase cracked his neck.

"Pick yourself up, for Godssake. You're a Howard, you pathetic swine." Chase spat at me.

"What's she doing?" Kaleb asked from outside the door.

I sat against the wall, panting. I couldn't breathe. Chase opened the door and Brian and Kaleb looked stunned. Chase walked past them. Brian looked at me.

"What the fuck, Katherine?" Brian whispered.

"Brian." My voice was cracking from the choking.

"I'm so done with you." Brian held up a finger.

He stormed away. Kaleb rushed to me.

"Did you-" He began.

"Of course not." I whispered. "I would never do that to Brian."

"Okay. I believe you. What's important right now is taking these fuckers down once and for all. You got this, love." Kaleb kissed my forehead.

I nodded and stood. "I got this."

"That's my girl." Kaleb smiled softly. "Did he-"

"It's fine. Nothing happened. We were exchanging details." I smiled.

Kalebs eyes dropped to my neck and he looked me back in the eyes. I begged him to drop it with my eyes and he nodded slightly. He walked out. I finished getting ready and walked out.

The team, Chase and my mother were waiting for me in the conference room. I walked to the front, Kaleb next to me. I asked him for water because my mouth was drying and it was becoming really difficult to talk. He got it for me and I took slow sips.

"Any day now." Chase commented.

"What happened to your neck?" Mother asked me.

"The strap of the gun got wrapped around my neck." I was barely audible.

Mother gave me a look as if she didn't believe me.

"This group has wiped out British bases within a week. They're powerful and sophisticated but we can handle them. We've handled worse. We move together, no one straying from the group. Understood?" I asked.

"Got it."

I nodded slowly. My eyes met Chase's who was smiling. And then I looked at Brian who was giving me a look I've never seen before. A look that clearly stated I lost my husband.

-

🙄😢

-Chicken Soup 🍜