Chapter 10

JungMin

I sat down on the couch with two people staring into my soul. My father got up from his position and cleared his throat. "How's living on your own?"

"Of course, I loved being like this. At least that I don't get to work like a slave."

"You are supposed to be working at this age and you are complaining about it?" He said raising his voice. "Do you know how much I worked since graduation? And the fact that I worked even when I was loaded."

"JungMin, can you at least make us proud for once? Your sister is doing so much better than you, working at the café even though she has school and barely has time to meet any friends." My mother continued.

"That's JungAh. I'm not JungAh so don't compare me to her."

"Jeon Jungmin!"

"I want to live my own life as much as possible. Can't I live like that?" I said.

"Only on one condition. If you agree to it, I will let you do whatever you want."

"Fine. What is that one condition?" It better not is something weird and impossible.

"Get married." My father said as if he had said this line over and over again.
What? Getting married is not what I had ever thought about. It is the last thing that I have thought about.

"I can't get married. If I want to, there isn't anyone that I liked."

"We will give you one year to prove that you are the Jeon Family's son or not it is up to us. We will choose a wife for you."

"But isn't it way too early? I'm just 20. Appa, you and Omma got married when you guys were 25."

"That is because we are so coped up with our jobs. You didn't have a job so the only thing for you is to get married. I wouldn't mind if your wife is the one who makes money." My mother said.

I stood up. "Then I'll work. Is that ok?" I said.

"Yeobu did he said that he would work?" My mother whispered in Appa's ears.

"I think that he did." He said giggling like a bunny. An old bunny. What's with them? Aren't they angry a moment ago?

"Omma, Appa--" The lights suddenly switched off and the whole house is pitched dark. What is happening? Is it a blackout?

I heard footsteps coming from the second floor and I saw JungAh running down the stairs with a huge birthday cake with the candles '21' lighted. Wasn't she supposed to be dead drunk?

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday--" The three began to sing the birthday song together and I had this confused expression, wondering why would they do that. Today is my birthday? I looked at my watch and it is indeed my birthday. 31st July 2036.

They finished singing the song and the cake is placed in front of me, I still blew out the candles even though I was still confused with the whole thing. This was just all a setup?

"Oppa, Happy Birthday!" JungAh said smiling like no tomorrow.

"Ahdeul, Happy Birthday!" My mother said and kissed me on the cheek.

[Ahdeul 아들 is Son in Korean.]

"You have grown a year older and you are now an adult. Happy Birthday, JungMin-ah..." My father said.

My tears were already forming in my eyes and I struggled so much to not make it drop. It will ruin my image if I did that.

"Oh, Oppa is crying on his birthday." I touched my right cheek and it was wet.

I hit her playfully. "Since when I did! What the hell is this? How long have you guys planned this for?"

"2 weeks ago, the moving away part was also planned and I have never expected that you would go along with our plan." My mother revealed.

"So you weren't really drunk?" I asked my sister.

She didn't say anything but told me to keep quiet by placing a finger to her mouth and mouthed 'We will talk later'. Why is she lying?

We quickly ate the cake and I went to shower after that. I will go back to TaeWoon hyung's apartment in the morning to take back my stuff. I hope that TaeNa noona would return back home as well.

I got out of the shower and JungAh was in my bed wearing pajamas."What do you want to talk about?" I asked placing the wet towel on a chair and sat down next to her. "Why did you tell me to keep quiet earlier?"

It was suspicious of her to do that. She usually never lies and is an honest person. "The drunk part was true, I was really drunk. I had a crush on someone and he had a party in the nightclub that you found me at. My friends knew about it and decided to bring me along so I went with them."

"Did anything bad happen? Did anyone down anything to you?" I said scanning her from top to bottom rapidly, my anger rising up bit by bit. 

"Of course nothing happened except for--" She stopped and continued. "Nothing happened, really..." She tried to cover up by smiling very weirdly. And that smile is what she does when she is lying.

"Tell me the truth," I said firmly.

"Fine. I got kissed by that guy." This stupid girl...

"Who is that guy? Do I know him?"

She shook her head. "But he is really a nice guy."

"How would you know? Maybe he is acting to make you fall for him. Many guys do that except for me."

"Oppa..."

"Tell me his name, I will go find him."
She didn't say anything and looked down at the floor.

"Don't tell me that you don't know his name."

"I do."

"Then tell! I don't want you to get hurt because of one stupid guy."

"Why have you become so protective all of a sudden? You weren't like that before."

"I am your brother, I'm supposed to do that."

"Just continue to go to nightclubs and date girls. That's your specialty, don't be kind all of a sudden." She said getting up from her seat. "You disgust me and I will see him again."

"Don't you dare! I will tell Omma and Appa if you did that." I said before she has already closed the door. We have become best friends when we were younger, often sharing the same bed. But why are we like this when we are older?

Have I neglected her too much that she doesn't need my help anymore?