Chapter 26

DaeHwan

I sat down on the table, my fingers tapping on the table in rhythm, counting down to the minutes that my friend, Lee Taewoon will be making his way here in a couple of minutes and honestly I am not prepared for it. I'm not prepared to tell him about the truth, the real reason why I wanted him to invite our entire family.

He doesn't know about his birth father falling victim to cancer and was kept in the dark for a very long time, his parents chose to keep the truth from him but not me, I was one of the first people to know about my adoptive father having cancer.

I have known about almost 5 months ago, ever since the very first time that he had revealed that he had cancer, I was there at the exact moment where he passed out. He collapsed and passed out at home, on the same day where I had my day off, no one was at home when all of that happened. I was in my room finishing up on writing my documents when I heard something hitting the floor really hard, it felt very suspicious so I went out of my room to take a look, it turns out that there was a glass of water on the floor, it was all scattered and there was my father, lying down on the floor unconscious with his face down.

I admitted him to the hospital right away, careful to make sure that he doesn't get admitted to the hospital where most of their family work at, I can't risk them knowing about my adoptive father being sick terminally. If one of them knows about it, the rest of their family would know about it eventually and they would be happy that their enemy has fallen and he won't be there for long.

But Taewoon's mother, my father's ex-wife has already known about it and she has told TaeNa about it, soon everyone in her family would know about it and it won't be good. But I had no choice, TaeNa is right about what she has said earlier, Taewoon may hate me right now for telling him about his father but he will understand why I did this. He is someone who is understanding, he won't do things that are too ridiculous of his own character.

He saw me at the table and pretended that he didn't see me at all, he is still mad about I have said to him a few days ago, he has the right to be mad at everything that I had said to him. He looked around the restaurant and the server approached him, asking him for his table number. I had used TaeNa's name to book a reservation here and she has allowed me to do so, he will never turn up if I were to call him but he will turn up if it were to be his younger sister.

I witnessed him rolling his eyes at me and then turned his heel, making his way out of the restaurant. I can't let him go just like that, my purpose of calling him to meet up is meaningless if he goes home. I ran after him and caught up to him in time. "Lee Taewoon..."

"Get lost, I know no one like you." He said coldly.

"Please, Taewoon... Will you listen to me?"

"For what? It is not that important anyway, it is your family, not mine. I have broken off ties with you guys a long time ago."

I grabbed his arm firmly so that he is unable to go anywhere. "I have a perfect reason to want you to invite my entire family to your wedding, I wanted to tell you this today."

"Sorry but we really don't have much to talk about, I have to go back to the hospital." He yanked my hand off and we reached the car park, he headed for his cat which is located at the far end and he got into the car and I got inside the car as well, sitting next to him. "Would you seriously get lost? I said that I have nothing to say to you at all and I won't allow you to be at my wedding as well if you continue to force your way through."

"Taewoon, I know that I am in the wrong for this but I have any reason to do that."

He scoffed mockingly. "What reason could you even have? Did that man bribe you of a million dollars just for you to agree to do this?"

"What if I tell you that he barely has a few more months to live on?" That sentence made him stop in his tracks and stare right at me. "I'm not kidding."

He knows that I can't lie and that is the main reason why I became a lawyer, I wanted to be a lawyer who never lies. "Say that again, I dare you."

"It's true, he had last stage cancer and it was 5 months ago," I told him. "He begged me hard not to tell anyone about this but I guess that it is too late now since that your mother and your younger sister have gotten the news from someone else."

He said nothing and stayed silent for the rest of the journey to my house, I hadn't told him that I was going home but I guess that he will not understand even if I tell him about it. He was also being cold to me the entire time, he only turned on the air conditioning to my side and I was freezing as hell and he didn't give me any blankets to keep myself warm as well.

I got out of the car after I have gotten out and I stared hard at him. "What are you trying to do?"

"He is still home right?" I nodded. "Is he in a great condition to talk to?"

Is he talking about his father? "Don't give me that look, I know what you are saying and it is bad of me if I don't go to invite him personally?"

Does that mean... "Yes, I'm going to talk to him in 20 years. Cheer me on, Nam DaeHwan."