Chapter 57

TaeNa

"Noona, have some food before you have to go back to work." My younger brother TaeMin told me after I have paid my respects to my birth father, our entire family except for my father because he needs to be there to take care of his family is here to pay our respects to him and since we have blood ties to the Nam Family, we are supposed to be there for the entire ceremony and help out the Nams as well.

It is a sudden death but Nam Daehwan has done such a great job at doing the funeral even though he is the one who should be the most heartbroken at this, he was crying buckets that day and he didn't stop crying until a few hours later and the skies turned dark. He just lost a father who is extremely important to him and even though he is not related to my birth father, he never had a father and my birth father was everything to him, he taught Nam Daehwan everything about life and that was why he became a lawyer.

Of course, half of the reason is that he admires his uncle who is a very well-known lawyer but it is because he wants to break all the stereotypes of people who were easily misunderstood and framed to have a happy ending and for the bad to get the punishment that they deserved. And now he lost his father and he has to be the head of the family and take care of everything in his family, and he is probably not going to date anyone again or even want to date me because he is so busy with everything.

I glanced towards Nam Daehwan who is currently kneeling with his head laying down, I just wished that he can get over this soon and move on with his life. I deeply sighed and I got my food which my younger brother got for me. "Do you have to go back to work? You are on your leave, it is a family thing and you are advised to stay for the entire ceremony before going back to work." My younger brother said to me. "Appa's hospital is doing a bad job of managing his employees."

"Don't blame your father for that, he is the hospital director and also the head of the paediatric department, your sister is not in his department and someone else begged her to take over her shift because she has something on but your sister is stuck with this funeral." My mother said to my brother and he only nodded because he can't fight against his mother and he is the only person in our family who didn't go to medical school and he stays at home all day just gaming for his career. "But can't you tell her that you have a funeral to attend? And you have an overnight shift after this shift, you can't cope with it since you didn't sleep well for the past 2 nights."

"It's okay, I can handle it because I am a nurse and we are immune to this kind of things. I have been here for the past 2 days and it wouldn't be a huge issue if I am not there for the final part of the funeral, you guys are there anyways." I told them. "I will just finish up this meal and quickly head over."

"Lee TaeNa." I heard Nam Daehwan's voice and he is making his way to our table, I was surprised to see him talking to me even though he knows that my mother is right here and she doesn't allow him to speak to me and avoid eye contact with me. "Are you going anywhere after this?" He asked me.

"I am going back to work after this, and I hope that you can get over this as soon as possible and get back to work as well," I told him and continued to eat my food, waiting for him to go away but he doesn't. "Please, I need some of my privacy here even though it is a public space."

He turned towards my mother and my older brother. "Mrs Lee and Taewoon, can I borrow Lee TaeNa for a moment? I have something to talk to her about and it is urgent."

"I don't think that you understand that my sister needs to get back to work because she is covering for someone else, she doesn't have any time to talk to you." I glared at my younger brother, even though I liked his bluntness but sometimes he needs to shut up at times and mind his own business.

"I will make a call to your department for you to not work for the day, you are not even supposed to work today and you have 2 days of your leave left." He told me. "So drop everything and listen to me."

"But the hospital needs me to be there, they are short of one nurse for today's shift and I am the one that they needed," I told him. "So can you give me my space and have my meal?"

"They don't need you that much, I need you that much and I can't live without you." He raised his voice and everyone in the funeral room looked at me, this is uncalled for especially when it is a sombre event and it is not supposed to shout at someone like that, it is extremely disrespectful for him to do that at his father's funeral.

"Nam Daehwan!" My mother raised her voice at him. "What do you think that you are doing right now?"

"Mrs Lee, I don't think that I can please anyone anymore and I am going to ask your daughter's hand in marriage, I am going to marry her and she will be my wife." My eyes opened wide and I looked at him asking my mother to marry me, he is not holding anyone back at all. "Now that the main reason why you fought with my father is gone, I guess that it would be appropriate for me to marry your daughter and we won't have any relation to each other and we will stop being step-siblings in the paper but instead husband and wife. You have to grant me this wish or I will elope with your daughter to some foreign country, please choose one thing for me to do Mrs Lee!"