Chapter 20: Deep Thoughts

Niall's POV

There are no words to express how happy I am now that I am reunited with my mother. I hugged tightly, the scent of fertilizer on her clothes seeps on my nose but I didn't care. I just want to savor every single second of this moment. I am definitely crying a river here, how much I miss my mum.

"Niall?" she took off her hand woven, brown gardening hat and looked very surprised at me. She was startled that someone hugged her. Her face is filled with happiness, the same feeling that I am having. The mini shovel that she was holding dropped in an instant. She reciprocated the intensity of my hug. Then, she pulled away and wiped off the tears that are streaming in my face. "Why are you crying, Niall?"

That smile. No matter how old my memory was, that smile never vanished at the corner of my mind. It was still very clear to me.

"Mum, I'm home." I gave her one bigger hug.

She instantly looked confused when she saw the luggage behind me. "What is that?"

I turned around. "My luggage."

"And why are you carrying a luggage?" She crossed her arms, looking at me like I did a crime that I shouldn't. No matter what I do, my mum can read every move I make.

"I'll stay here for a while." My hands ran through nervously on my semi-messy blonde hair, hoping that she wouldn't give too much meaning on what I just said. I looked down at the cemented floor.

She extended her hands and slowly lifts up my chin, meeting her gaze. She had this pity expression on her face, which made me feel even guiltier. "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

My mum really knew me inside and out. Decoding secrets is my mum's expertise. A wave of anguish spread through me. My mind tells me not to tell but my heart disagrees. I finally told her why I showed up here in Mullingar all of a sudden. The ripped shirt, the nightmare, and my torn feelings toward Liam and Zayn.

"Oh, Niall," she pinched playfully my cheeks. "You shouldn't worry about us. Your father is still busy with his butchering business and your brother is also busy fixing cars." (Author's Note: I really don't know what Greg do for a living. In this story, he is a mechanic.) "It's just that nightmare is too disturbing for me not to ignore it." My fist tightened and I felt my brows are closing in on one another. That nightmare imprinted on my mind and I don't think I can just delete it. I would if I could. I'm not really the type of person who would want to keep negativities in life. I'm a carefree guy and being pessimistic is not my forte.

"You should call them before they could notice you were gone." My mum combed my hair through her fingers. It felt good that my mum still see me as his baby. Being the youngest has its advantage. Most of the time, I could get what I want and maybe that's why Greg would always taunt me.

Feeling the warm touch of my mum made me look back to that boy who grazed his knee and cried his eyes out. If I could, I would go back in time and spend forever in that place. I'm really glad I made this decision to come back home and see them one more time.

She led me back to her home. My mum remarried after a couple of years after her and my father divorced. It was hard for me and for Greg to see them apart. There was one time that Greg would cover my ear and distract me with things so I couldn't focus on the yelling of my parents. As a child of a broken family, I couldn't help but to blame myself. Greg reminded me that neither him nor me why they separated. I still remember what he said, "some things don't just work out the way we wanted to."

She opened the mosaic-designed door, exposing the shiny wooden floor. I would assume that this house is always maintained; no speck of dust could be seen, it was spotless. There were some picture frames hanging on the wall; pictures of her and her husband, Chris. Although, my parents separated, I'm still happy that my mum a second chance at love and Chris was a perfect match for her. He treated her with such kindness, which I'm glad. This is my second family, although it's a shame that they never had kids. I wonder what would it be like if I have a younger sibling.