Chapter 41: I'm Sorry

• Dedicated to AlexisLewis9

Okay, I lied! I know I said I won't be uploading a new chapter and yet here I am posting a new one. This is still a Niam chapter but you have to hold on to your Niam shipping heart because this is a very sad one. Lately, I've been reading devastating one-shot chapters and this is somehow a reflection of my feelings at the moment.

This chapter is dedicated to@AlexisLewis9 as a prize for the title suggestion for Chapter 39. Hope you like this one.

I just wanted to remind every one that I'm still in the middle of my finals review and I will still write updates between reviews so expect an update. I'd also appreciate if you guys would take the time to read and post comments on my other two fan fics. Oh before I forgot, I'm thinking about releasing a new fanfic. It would be mainly Narry/Ziall.

Anyways, have fun reading and wish me luck for my Calculus final exam on December 13th.

* * * * *

Niall's POV

"Be my boyfriend, Niall..."

Those words echoed throughout me. At first, I thought it was a silly joke until it played repeatedly inside my head like a broken record. Liam had a serious look on his face, letting me know that he meant what he said. Those chocolate brown eyes pierced through my heart and breathing seemed like a difficult thing to do.

What am I supposed to say? I mean, I do like Liam but the timing was not right and don't forget his relationship Danielle. I really don't understand why he was so persistent on saying these wonderful, sweet things to me when he has a girlfriend. And I'll be damned if I let him to be his number two.

"What are you talking about?" I let out a chuckle, hoping he would just stop with this sick joke of getting in a relationship. He already has one.

"Didn't you just hear what I said?" He repeated, his eyes widened in disbelief and with a hint of irritated in his face.

I quickly turned around to get back on counting my snapbacks laying on the floor, pretending I didn't heard what he just said. There was no way I could deal with this drama right now. I'm too powerless with this feeling I have for Liam. I might've regretted it the moment I say yes.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Why are you making things hard for us?"

I gaped as my back still facing him. Making things hard for us? You're the one with the girlfriend so don't start with me and saying making things hard for us.

I slowly turned around, wiping off the gape in my face. "Look, Liam, I don't understand what you're trying to pull on me."

Liam had a confused expression on his face.

"We both know that you love me and I do love you too..."

Liam's POV

My heart thumped like crazy inside my chest when Niall admitted that he loves me too. I couldn't wait for us to be officially together but at the back of my mind saying that there's a catch on behind his statement.

"But we can't be together..." He said with such bitter tone.

With that, my world came crushing down. All the hope in my grasp suddenly vanished instantly and I really don't know what to do with my life anymore.

"Why not?" My voice cracked, tears were forming at the corner of my eyes and threatened to fall instantly.

"Because..."

"Because what?"

"Because you have a girlfriend..."

Girlfriend? What nonsense is he talking about? As far as I'm concern, I'm single for months.

"What are you talking about, Niall?" I asked hesitantly.

"Okay, I see that you want to play with this game again," Niall sighed in frustration.

"I've been single for months..."

"So what's with mushy text with Danielle?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"What text?"

Suddenly, a shared conversation I had with Danielle couple of nights ago flashed before my very eyes. The text messages we exchanged with another could be mistaken that we're still together. I gasped at the thought of that realization.

"Oh dear God!"

"My point exactly!" Niall turned around and went back to his snapbacks.

"You don't understand..."

He quickly faced me with furious expression on his face. His blue orbs glaring back at me.

"Don't understand what?! That you can play with my heart, huh, Liam!" His voice roared and echoed through the whole room, and made me frightened.

"Danielle and I are way over, we're just friends."

"Uh-huh, I heard that one before," he rolled his eyes out as sarcasm filled his voice.

"I'm serious. Danielle and I are just friends. That's all," I said calmly although my blood was about to reach its boiling point as frustration filled up every fiber of my being.

"Then how will you explain with the 'I love you' messages?"

I gaped at him. "How did you know about what's in the messages?"

He tensed up. "I-uh... look into your phone..." His voice faltered.

"You went looking into my phone?" I let out a high-pitched tone in disbelief.

"It doesn't matter. Nothing's changed, you're still Danielle's boyfriend..." He said with such defeat in his tone. Hearing that made my heart broke into two.

"Why can't you believe me for once?"

"Because... Because..." For the first time, Niall was lost for words. His cheeks were displaying a sudden redness as his blue orbs sparkled. It was paradise for me, looking intently at those eyes.

"Because there's nothing was going on between us. Danielle and I are just friends."

"So all this time, you're not in a relationship with her?" Niall asked hesitantly as his face displayed a disbelief expression.

"No, silly. After we broke up, we managed to stay friends and we both liked on how it's going so far and that's why we let it stay that way." A smile showed itself on my face. "Is that why you're so cold to me all this time?"

"Because I thought you guys are in a relationship. But when you picked me up at Mullingar, you keep saying these sweet things to me..." He was still in shock at what he had found out.

The imaginary cloud of confusion hovering on us suddenly became more and more clear that all of what happened was just a stupid misunderstanding.

"Oh my God!" He shrieked.

"What?" I freaked out as he lets out a shrill tone.

"I'm so stupid!" He buried his face on his face. Seeing him this way doesn't feel and look so right. I hugged him and caressed his back, letting him know that it's okay.

"You're not. It was just a misunderstanding." I peeled off his face from his hands and lifted so he can look at me directly.

"I've said those horrible words at you..." Tears were forming at his mesmerizing eyes. It broke my heart looking at it directly.

"It's okay, Niall..."

"I don't know how to make this up to you. Let me know what you need."

A grin spread across my face as an imaginary light bulb hovered above my head.

"You know what I want," I said as I felt my cheeks were burning red.

"What is it?"

"Be my boyfriend, Niall..."

He quickly tensed up and by the looks of it; he was going to say something that would crush me to death.

"I-I can't..." He paused as he looked intently at me. "I can't be your boyfriend, Liam. I'm so sorry..."

With that, this heart of mine blew up into tiny pieces as I let him vanished from my sight.