Chapter 22

I opened my eyes and groggily lifted myself up. I was still analyzing what happened when the door suddenly flew open.

"Jae Eun." Mina cried out and gathered me in her arms.

"What happened?" She asked with teary eyes.

"Tell her. I wanna hear too." I flicked my attention to the manager who was leaning against the doorframe with his hands crossed.

I have so many questions I want to ask. So many that I didn't know where to start. I couldn't find the right words and much worse, I couldn't find my voice.

Why were you talking to him? What's your relationship with that man? Was it about business? Or was it about me?  I questioned him in the eyes.

He stared back at me with a blank expression, leaving me no idea what's running in his head.

"Don't come to work tomorrow." He walked up to me and grabbed his jacket who kept me warm while I was out. After that, he left.

I sighed.

I flicked my attention to the wall clock and almost fell from the sofa when I saw the time.

10:00 In the evening?!

"Just how  long was I out?!"

"About 12 Hours." Mina plainly replied as she helped me get up.

I gaped at her and hoped she was kidding but turned out she was serious.

I just wasted halfday for nothing?!

"Now it's my turn to ask questions. What happened?" She asked in a solemn voice as she intensely looked at me in the eye with piercing looks as  if she was searching for answers.

I sighed as I knew I couldn't keep this a secret from her.

---

"So you're saying that man was the one who took you from the hospital?" She gasped out loud and I quickly ran to her and hushed her down. Who knows, that man might still be around the corner.

"It's not confirmed yet but I'm 85% sure of it."

"You better be careful. Who knows when he'll show up."

Awkwardness creeped its way to our atmosphere.

"Why didn't you tell me Jae Eun? Why didn't you tell me you were facing all these problems?" Her voice still had colors but I could sense she was upset.

She was my friend for so long, ever since I started working at this restaurant, yet I didn't tell her a thing. She's probably feeling like she's not trustworthy enough.

"I just didn't want to burden you with my problems so I didn't tell you because I know you'll be worrying too much. I hope you understand what I'm saying."

She patted my back, saying she understands.

There was another moment of silence but then Mina broke it with another question.

"Don't you really have an idea, even the slightest,  as to who might be behind all this?" Her tone was finally back to normal. I'm relieved.

I was stunned by that but I quickly found my composure and I shook my head. "I really don't know. Or more like I don't remember. Like I've told you before, after I had amnesia, I still have a small recollection of my past but there's just a piece missing and I think the dream that's been haunting me for years is the key to complete the puzzle. I just feel like me falling from the stairs was planned. My memories were erased for a purpose. I just couldn't pinpoint it."

"Don't force yourself to remember, okay? Why don't we just tell the manager about this? I'm pretty sure he can do something about it. He can send bodyguards to watch you 24 Hours."

I strongly shook my head to show I'm against it. She gave me the 'Why' look. Since I've told her this much, might as well spill everything without reservation.

"The manager and that man were talking so casually earlier and I hate to say this but I can add the word 'suspicious'. I can't help but feel that their scheming something."

"Oh no that's beyond impossible. You should've seen the manager's worried face when he called for help while holding you in his arms. That was the first time I've seen him care for someone that strongly. Priceless~~" She said while staring at the sky with twinkly eyes, probably recalling the scene.

I slapped her arms playfully and told her to stop. Really, she should stop because my cheeks are starting to feel hot.

"Remember. Do not breath a word about this to him. Please." I begged as I took her hands in mine and gripped it hard.

Seriously, I don't want him to poke his nose in my business. And 24 Hours guarded? I'm getting the creeps just by hearing it.

"By the way Jae Eun. Don't come to work tomorrow okay? You need rest."

"I can't do that. We both know that we can't afford less hands on deck."

"It wasn't me who originally thought about that. The manager told you to take the day off right?"

She said with a teasing tone, wiggling her eyebrows and nudging my arm and the idiot me couldn't do anything but smile.

"He just said that because he probably thinks I can't do anything fruitful given the state I was in earlier." I insisted but it didn't work. She still kept on teasing me.

This girl really. Teasing me when she's the one who really likes him. Tch. If only she hadn't warned me  not to tease her or else she'd stop being my bestfriend. Though I know she wouldn't do that. 

We just took a couple of steps from the restaurant when I felt someone watching us.

I quickly flipped back and hid the confused Mina behind me. "Who's there? Show yourself." I yelled.

I'm acting tough for Mina's sake but deep down, I just wanna run away as fast as I could and scream for help.

"There's someone there?"  Mina asked almost in a hush. I nodded in response.

I've been followed for my whole life
so I think that's how I was able to sharpen my senses.

A few moments later, a lone figure came out from the shadows.

"Hi Jae Eun. It's me." The man spoke.

"Who?"

Oh no! Who could it be this time? Can you guess? I'd really appreciate if you comment down your guesses.

See you in the next chapter!