Chapter 26

Jae Eun's POV...

Damn this gown and this sitting arrangement. Why do I have sit between Dino and Woozi? Can't I transfer to the other car? And this gown? It's too constricting and these heels are earning me looks of pity from the other members.

Yeah, boys. It feels hell wearing these. I'm glad you know.

They were joking around, snickering and chitchatting when the car halted. They immediately stopped their childish demeanor and put on a serious aura.

The driver opened the door. They exit one after another and I was the one to exit last. I stared down at my pathway, pulled up my gown slightly and began to take the first step, reminding myself all along to maintain my balance.

Then suddenly, a hand was extended to me. I accepted the kind offer and looked up, expecting all along that it was Joshua or Mingyu but much to my surprise, it was Seungcheol. I stretched a smile and he did the same.
I led my gaze up to the breathtaking ediface in front of me. It gleamed with the spotless silence of for-company-only and the stairs leading to its grandeur entrace was enveloped with a red carpet, with both of its sides defended by barricades to hold back hundreds of reporters.

They lined up and confidently walked down the aisles, wore their best smiles, pivot their heads from left to right and untiringly waved at the cameras.

I'm sure glad I'm not an idol.

When I finally entered the media's line of vision, I hear their whispers, probably wondering who I was. I was shivering and my knees were about to give up but then Scoups tightened his grip and smiled at me assuringly.

"I wonder how much this gown is?" I asked, trying to forget my nervousness.

"Probably a few thousand dollars." Scoups bluntly said. I froze.

If I ruin this, my life won't be enough to pay for it.

We finally reached the entrance.

Polished marble floors and a graceful banister that curved up toward a soaring second floor gallery.
Beautiful high arched windows framed with velvet drapes, the lace of the inner curtains remained drawn, allowing moonlight to enter place.

Eyes. Judging and scrutinizing looks landed upon us as if we're the star of the show.

I saw a man  in tuxedo, probably in his 50s, holding a microphone. "Please welcome the star of this evening, Nam Jae Eun, my long lost daughter."

I'm his what now?!

I was deaf for a moment. My eyes rounded in surprise. I darted a look on each Seventeen members but they looked even more surprised.

He gestured for us to come in front and we did. The man pulled me into a hug and let out tears of joy.

I stiffened. I didn't know what was going on.

He broke his hug and placed the mic near his mouth again. "This party is solely to celebrate her return. Now I hope you all enjoy the night to your heart's contents." He ended his welcome speech and sounds of claps filled the air.

An orchestra began playing and sweet melody brightened the mood even more.

When the man walked away, the Seventeen members quickly went to follow him so I also did.

"CEO, what was that announcement just now?" Scoups questioned.

He looked at me and then back at Scoups and then he replied. "Letting the public believe that she is my daughter is the best, don't you think? She doesn't have to stay hidden now." His deep baritone voice chuckled then he approached me and showed me a gentle smile.

"Don't worry, I'm a friend of your father. Knowing your life threats, I'll be taking you under my wing from now on."

My world momentarily froze and my mind stopped working.

My father? I haven't seen him for so many years after I ran away from home. He hadn't even bother looking for me so why bother acting like a father now?

"I... I don't understand." My voice cracked and tears started to well up.

"It's okay. You'll understand everything when the right time comes. For now, I just need you to know that you are your father's treasure and that he loves you so much."

I wanted to laugh at his words but instead, tears uncontrollably trickled down my face.

Sobs kept escaping. I just miss him so much. I'm stabbed and it hurts like hell. My heart is pierced with pain.

"Hush now. We'll be here for you so please stop those tears." He said with such a caring and worried voice.

I let my body do what it wants. I hugged him as I ceased my tears. In an instant, I warmed up to him. "Thank you CEO." I whispered.

"Call me Uncle."

I broke my hug and stood straight. "That's my girl. Just trust me okay?" He said, wiping the last drop of tear that fell fom my eye.

"Now go and enjoy the rest of the night." He told me and he walked away.

I waved goodbye and then faced Scoups and the others.

"What? Enjoyed the drama?" I asked, my faced flushed as I realized they once again saw me broke into tears.

"I didn't know you had that kind of problem." Seungkwan said and blowed his nose to the hankie Dk handed him.

"Seungkwan don't cry. I'm here." Vernon assured, pulling Seungkwan to his arms and patted his head.

"If only I knew that, then I should've been kind to you." Mingyu shook his head and clung to Wonwoo's shoulder.

"You've always been kind to me." I told him with a smile.

"We got your back so don't hesitate opening up to us." Jun and The8 told me as Dino and Woozi nodded their heads.

"Yeah, we'll be here." Jeonghan and Joshua said in chorus, threw each other a surprised look before laughing.

"You heard 'em. Now you're officially the 14th member of the Seventeen family." Scoups said, pulling me to him and planted a gentle kiss on my forehead.

I could feel my cheeks burning.

I stepped back and glanced at the other members who were dumbfounded. I must admit what Scoups just did was surprising but to him, it was just a normal act.

"Huddle up everyone!" Scoups said. They came closer and then placed their hands on top of each other's. I just stared at them but Hoshi invited me to join so I placed my hand at the top.

"Seventeen...." Scoups started and then everyone yelled, "FIGHTING!" then they threw their hands in the air.

They're a bunch of nice people.

They soon slipped into their own little word. Wonwoo, The8, Dino and Scoups were talking to some guests, Jun, Vernon, Mingyu and Hoshi served themselves with food while the Vocal team accepted the request and rendered a song.

It was such a great night and I wanted to enjoy it like the others but I couldn't. Many things just happened in a split second and I'm still very confused. I have many unanswered questions but I'll guess I have to trust the CEO-- I mean, Uncle's words. I'll just have to wait for the right time.

I needed fresh air so I made my way to the balcony. It was artistically designed with creeping vines and flowers. It also had a bench at the center, making it a perfect spot for star gazing. I gazed upon the stars as I walked in farther. The moment was almost perfect if only I had not tumbled over.

I was born rich but never have I tried  wearing stilettos.

I was annoyed at myself so I stayed at the floor for a few seconds. Lucky me, someone was a gentleman enough to offer a hand to me.

I accepted his hand. "Thank y---"

My eyes widened in shock.

Jo Min Soo? What is he doing here?