Chapter 40

"Dad!" I managed to call. They turned their attention to me and it was obvious that they were shocked. For a moment, I thought my father looked at me with longing but it was just my imagination. He looked at me coldly as if I was just some stranger who suddenly barged in. I wanted to cry more in his arms and seek his comfort but I couldn't do that. He doesn't think of me as his daughter. I tried standing up but when I did, my feet wobbled. Once again, excruciating pain raided my head. I didn't want to look so pitiful in front of the man who feels nothing for his own daughter. I wanted to show him I'm fine without him but as much as I wanted to do that, the pain was too much for me to handle. I screamed like I'm being tortured. I drop to the floor and clutched hard on my hair. I did everything to ease the pain but nothing worked.

"Jae Eun." I heard Min Soo hollered out to me and moments later, I found myself in his arms. "Call the ambulance!" He demanded.

"We need to kill her if we want to have everything."

I was more horrified when those words envaded my head.

"Kill her. Kill her. Kill her."

"No!!" I screeched and curled myself into a ball, my hands wrapped around my knees. "D-Don't kill me! Please!"

"Nam Jae Eun! Listen to me. Listen." I heard Min Soo's words and I felt him shake my body but none of these stopped my nightmare. I raised my head and looked at him, my eyes hooded. I caught a glimpse of his concerned eyes before I got completely plunged into darkness.

3RD person'  POV...

"Bits and peices are coming back which is why she experienced severe pain earlier but she'll be fine. She'll just have to take adequate rest and take things slowly." The doctor adviced Mr. Jo and he nodded in agreement.

"If you'll excuse me, I'll be making my rounds now." Said the doctor before making his leave.

"Don't let her go to work until she recovers Min Soo and always keep an eye on her."

"I understand."

Seeing signs of Jae Eun waking up, Min Soo quickly rushed to her side.

"I'll leave everything to you." Mr. Jo said and after that, he left.

Jae Eun slowly opened her eyes and Min Soo's gentle smile was first to greet her. The moment her eyes were fully opened, tears fell from them.

"Where is he?" She questioned.

"He already left. You know your father is a busy man." Min Soo told her as he wiped her tears away.

The moment was interrupted by cries of people who had just entered the room.

"Jae Eun. Are you okay?" Mingyu rushed to her side and examined her with his sharp eyes.

Seungkwan clung to her arms and cried, "We thought you were dead." 

"Don't be like that Seungkwanie. You heard wrong. I was told she got hit by a truck." Dk told him, wearing a face that screams 'I know everything.'

"I did not hear any sort of that statement though." Jun butted in and eyed Hoshi to agree with him.

"I thought Jae Eun was poisoned."  Vernon, with a very innocent voice, voiced out his thoughts making him earn a smack from Wonwoo.

"Idiot. She wasn't poisoned. She fell off the stairs. Right?" Wonwoo eyed Woozi who was standing in silence but Woozi just coldy shrugged.

"Right?" Wonwoo tried to get The8 on his side but The8 didn't want to get involved with all of this.

With his hands raised in surrender The8 replied, "Don't ask me."

"Wait guys. Calm down. Why is everyone's story different. Where did you get these news?" Joshua who was not able to withstand the commotion finally spoke to clear things up and without any seconds in interval, the members all pointed their hands to one person.

"Yoon Jeonghan." They all declared. Upon hearing this, the maknae looked like as if he was about to cry from disbelief. While on the other hand, the suspect tried to make himself into a lawyer and started negotiating things.

All of this stupidness made Jae Eun laugh. For her, it has been a long time since the last time she laughed and now she felt revived that she did.

On the other side of the room stood Seungcheol and Min Soo.

"What happened? The truth Min Soo."

"She regained fragments of her lost memories, that's what happned."

"What triggered it?"

This time, Min Soo remained silent but Seungcheol persisted. "Tell me." He said.

"I can't." Min Soo plainly said as he proceeded to the door.

"Stop thinking like it's your responsibility alone to safeguard her. We both know it's not." Min Soo stopped on his tracks for a while before completely vanishing from Seungcheol's sight.

Now I understand Pledis' problem when it comes to line distribution. I swear it's really hard giving each member a line to say.

Anyways, this chapter was short and was kinda uneventful but please do comment and vote.