Chapter 56

"You need to send your men in. Jae Eun is still in there and that woman might've escaped by now." Seungcheol suggested with great panick but Min Soo just regarded him with a nonchalant gaze.

"What are you doing!" Strength once again invaded Seungcheol's body all thanks to Min Soo. Throwing one last incredulous look at Min Soo, Seungcheol walked away without any words.

"Hyung! We are you going?" Yelled Dino as he shoved the paramedic who was treating him. When Seungcheol didn't respond, all other members stood up from their seats despite being told to stay for their treatment to follow their leader.

But before they walked another step near the place, a big explosion went off, causing for whole building to collapse in just a split second.

"No." Seungcheol staggered forward, not able to comprehend what just happened. "No. No. No. JAE EUN!" He screamed and was about to do something reckless but he was stopped by the officers.

The other members fall on their knees, crying and devastated.

"She's not dead. She's still there. We could save her if we go now!" Yelled Seungcheol to no one in particular but Min Soo obstructed the idea.

"I'm not putting my men's lives in danger. We need a concrete plan."

"What plan?! We need to go in there now and---" Seungcheol's explosion was cut off when a strong punch met his face, throwing him a couple of feet from his former spot.

"Do you intend to put your members' lives in danger as well? Think Seungcheol! You're better than this." Yelled Min Soo at him. Seungcheol eyed each of his members who were on the brink of losing their sanity due to the uncertainty whether Jae Eun is still alive or not. One last quick glance at the silent Seungcheol who was trying his best to compose himself and Min Soo went off to resume his duty.

"H-Hyung. S-She's okay, right?" Stuttered Seungkwan as he ambled closer to his leader. Unfortunately, Seungcheol's firm nod wasn't enough to put lift up everyone's pain and worry.

"We... We need to go in there now. We just have---"

"Dino." Jeonghan called out to Dino who seemed to be loosing himself and was sputtering the reckless ideas running wild in his mind but Dino still pressed on.

"We just have to be careful not to let them know. Jae Eun needs us. She..." He didn't continue his sentence and just turned his back but Mingyu was there to stop him.

"She needs us. Please let me go, hyung." Dino's voice was barely above whisper as he struggled to get Mingyu's sturdy arms off his torso but he didn't have much strength left.

"Please." He begged with all sincerity and it pained everyone to witness their youngest brother so broken.

"Dino please. We feel just the same. It's just---"

"Just what, Woozi-hyung? Are you gonna say again that there's nothing we can do? Don't give me that shit!" DK finally conveyed the bottled up mixture of emotions inside him.

Looking Dk straight in the eyes with tears dribbling from his own, Woozi replied with as much sincerity he could muster in his wretched state. "Why? You think you can do something? You think you can move those debris and those fallen heavy walls? You think you can ensure not to add to the current problem we have if you get hurt? You think you can go get her out and come out unscathed? Now if you give me a fucking 'yes' then I won't stop you." Everybody was rendered speechless and helpless after listening to Woozi's words that pointed out the painful facts.

"We'll wait for Min Soo. Ten Minutes. We'll wait for ten minutes and if they're still not done, then we'll move ourselves." Seungcheol declared, gradually gaining composure.

The ten minutes had passed and just as Seventeen was about to take a dangerous step, Min Soo restrained them back.

"We'll go now. Now please, don't do anything foolish." Assuming he got an answer, Min Soo softly smiled before catching up to his men.

Everyone was starting to loose their patience when three hours had passed and still no news came to them.

"What do you think happened?" The8 asked, rubbing his cold, sweaty palms together.

"The whole building collapsed. It won't be easy." Wonwoo said, standing up from his seat.

"She'll be okay. She's okay. She'll come out with a smile on her face." Seungcheol chanted as he paced back and forth, raking his hair with his ice cold fingers everytime he made a turn.

"They're out! They're out!" Yelled Vernon an in just a measly second, they dashed towards the men whose breathing were labored.

"Where is she? Where's Jae Eun?!" Asked Jun desperately to the nearest rescuer. The man was hesitant to meet Jun's eyes. With the look of sympathy from the man, pain settled in the hearts of everyone.

"No, you're lying." Vernon insisted and went to ask another person but he got the same reply.

"That's... That's not true!" Seungcheol screamed in pain and anger, his face looking up at the sky.

When they finally caught sight of Min Soo standing as he looked at the ambulance take someone away, all of them dashed to him.

"Jae Eun!!" Hoshi cried out and went after the ambulance but his speed and stamina wasn't enough to keep up.

"She's alive right?" Seungcheol placed his hands on Min Soo's shoulders, his eyes pleading for a positive answer.

"ANSWER ME!" Seungcheol screamed.

Take in a deep breath, Min Soo looked at Seungcheol with serious eyes. "We couldn't find her. All we found was an unrecognizable corpse. We need to wait for the blood test results to know if it's..." Min Soo chose not to say another world as he knew it would be too painful. Heavens fell on everyone's shoulders upon hearing the devastating news.

"You... Couldn't find her?" Asked Seungcheol brokenly, refusing to believe Min Soo's words. "And you call yourself head of police department? You told me to let her go because she is safer with you! I trusted you! So why this?!" He punched Min Soo. He needed to if he wanted to stay sane. Pinning Min Soo on the ground by his collar, Seungcheol rained him with punches. Not minding even if his wound was opening again.

"Why this Min Soo? Why did you let this happen!"

"That's enough Scoups. They still haven't identified the corpse." Jeonghan said as he helped Seungcheol up on his feet.

"But they couldn't find her." The8 doubted.

"Don't you dare say that! She's alive. I know she is." Mingyu snarled, his teeth gnashing.

---

"The results are here." The new voice alerted everyone.

"What does it say?" Joshua asked as they gather around Min Soo who received the paper.

Carefully opening it with trembling hands, Min Soo read the contents and announced it afterwards with great regret.

"It's hers."