Part 86

Taehyung's pov 

"Y-you're what?"

"I said I'm the fucking father!" I yell in exasperation, turning back around. I cower slightly when my dad steps forward and threatens to hit me, immediately straightening back up afterwards. I can't be afraid of him now. Not after I told them that I'm the father of Rain's child.

"Watch your mouth! Don't yell at your mother like that."

"How can I not?" I yell back, finally done with all of his shit. "I have done everything that you guys have asked me to do, yet I get nothing in return."

"What do you mean 'nothing'? We have given you a company to look after and a wife to care for you."

"But what about what I think, huh? What about what I want to do with my life? What about my happiness?"

I watch my father as he looks around at the empty fields around us, no doubt making sure that no one is watching us at the moment. Heaven forbid someone made a news article about the Kim family being dysfunctional. 

"What does your happiness have to do with anything?" he says in a low voice, his eyes glinting maliciously over the rim of his glasses.

I scoff, "do you even know what my dream is? I know you don't, so don't even try to pretend like you do. All these years you have been bossing me around and training me to become the new owner of your big company. I would come home and get scolded for not having good grades, and get beaten when I didn't listen to what you had to say. I pretended like I didn't understand math just so that I could piss you off, yet that didn't do me much good in the end."

I also did it so that I had an excuse to see Rain, I think to myself, forcing those thoughts away for the moment.

"I am sick and tired of being treated like your personal punching bag. I don't want to follow your rules blindly anymore dad. Why can't you just let me do what I want to do?"

He grinds his teeth, the sun beating off his head and highlighting the sweat that is beginning to form. I know that I shouldn't continue this conversation. I know that I shouldn't anger him any more than I already have, because I can recognize that look in his eyes. That's the look I got when I tried to make him let me stay with Rain. That's the look I got before he started hitting me.

"And what is it that you want to do?" he practically spits in anger, his hands clasped at his sides. My mom takes a tentative step towards him and puts her hand on his arm, obviously realizing how mad I am making him. I can't stop now though. I've gotten this far, so there is no turning back.

"I'll tell you what I don't want to do. I don't want to hurt Rain anymore than I have already, I don't want to run your stupid company, and I don't want to marry Ami."

"What?" both of my parents gasp in shock, their eyes wide as they stare at me. My mom steps towards me as I watch her, her hands out in front of her as if she is offering me peace or something.

"But what about Ami? Don't you love her."

"I tried so hard to please you mom, but how can I love someone when my heart beats for someone else?" I frown at her, not sure why she looks so upset. Shouldn't she be worried about me? She was so happy when I told her that I proposed to Ami, and even though I know the reason why, I had hoped that she was happy that I had found someone to live with.

"All you guys care about is the company. I only agreed to marry Ami because of the deal her father offered me. I also felt bad for her. We are basically the same, our parents wanting to exploit us for their gain. I thought that if we did this that I could get you off of my back and somehow fall in love with her, making our troubles disappear. I can't do it though. I can't love her, and I won't."

"But what about her father? The marriage?"

I look down at the asphalt below me before looking my father directly in the eye, something I had been too scared to do in the past. 

"I don't care about your friendship with her father, I won't marry her. I'll call the whole thing off and then I'll make things right with everyone I left behind. I won't be your puppet anymore dad."

I walk towards him, his body frozen in shock at my defiance. He doesn't even move after I pass by him and get closer to the car, his back ridged in disbelief.

"Oh, and one last thing" I say as I put my hand on the door handle. 

"You guys are welcome to come to Rain and I's wedding. I mean, its only the polite to invite you, considering you are going to be grandparents soon."