Kleinsen- Out Of My League

AU where Evan is in a band and Jared is a huge fan and also might have the smallest crush on the lead vocalist

"No. Fucking. Way. You're joking. You have to be joking, you can't be serious. Me? Me. Me?!" Jared rambled on, and Alana watched, laughing.

"Yes Jared. You."

"Holy shit." Jared began tearing up, laughing. "Holy shit!"

"I know how much you love Wisteria, so... you know. I didn't know if you would, like, win the concert or anything, but it was worth a shot, you know? And besides, the drummer is kinda hot, so I thought, you know, it'd be fun to be your partner in the contest." Alana said factually. "But yeah. They picked us to go backstage! Isn't that amazing, Jared?"

"This is so fucking amazing. Thank you thank you thank you!" Jared pulled Alana into a tight hug, lifting her up slightly. He put her down and raced around his living room, yelling and cheering.

"Wait! What the fuck am I gonna wear?"

Alana laughed, pulling Jared towards his bedroom. "Well, Okay. We still have a week, so let's look through your closet and pick something. If I don't approve because you have horrible fashion taste, then we'll get you something at the mall. Okay?"

Jared nodded, to high on dopamine to care.

Alana dug through Jared's closet, looking around. "Well, uh. You know. We'll just make a quick mall trip this week. It'll be fine."

————

After much fighting from Alana, Jared stood in the front row of the Wisteria concert wearing a flannel and the band shirt.

"Oh my god, we're gonna lose our hearing. We're gonna be deaf before we leave high school."

"What?" Jared asked, not caring. Alana rolled her eyes, focusing instead on the rock band in front of them.

They danced and sang to every song, not noticing how the lead vocalist and drummer would secretly glance in their direction with hopeful eyes.

"Okay, okay. This is their last song." Alana yelled to Jared. "We have to, we have to go!"

"Oh shit!" Alana pulled Jared to the side exit, showing two passes to the guard waiting. He nodded his head, opening the back doors for them. They slipped inside and were guided to a small room with a red velvet couch.

Jared instantly flopped onto the couch, and Alana carefully sat down next to him. They heard the crowd cheer loudly, and the lead vocalist, Evan Hansen, say his goodbyes.

"Holy shit. I'm gonna barf."

"Thanks for that visual, Jared."

"Anytime, sweetheart."

"So, you two must be the contest winners?" Jared and Alana instantly stood up.

"Uh, yes, yes sir." Alana said quickly.

"You don't have to be formal with us, it's all good!" The Electric guitarist said, chuckling. "You can just call me Michael. It's nice to meet you guys!"

"I'm Alana, and the one hyperventilating is Jared." Jared glared at Alana as the band laughed.

"Have you guys been fans long?" Jeremy, the Bass guitarist asked.

"I have loved you guys since your first song, but this punk over here only wanted to listen after I showed her a picture of the drummer, Connor." Jared said, pointing to Alana.

"Shush!" Alana hit Jared, smiling weakly at the drummer in question. "Sorry about him. He never shuts up. Ever. But he's mostly trying to distract from the huge ass crush he has on your vocalist."

Jared looked back at Alana, a pleading look in his eyes. Alana just smirked, and began chatting with Connor playfully.

"So, you've, you've liked us for, for that long?" Evan asked, coming up from behind his stepbrother. "Wow! I'm, I'm impressed."

"What can I say? When I see talent, I know. I mean, when I hear talent. Yeah."

Evan chuckled, pulling himself and Jared to the side to talk more. After a little while, Evan asked. "So... are you and Alana... a thing?"

"No! No, we're... well, I'm gay. She's not."

"Oh! Well, maybe we could... hang out sometime." Evan dug around in his pocket, pulling out a sheet of paper. "Why don't we... maybe we can... get coffee? Unless you don't like coffee. Then we can just, uh, watch Netflix. Not Netflix and chill! Just, just Netflix. Or, uh. You know."

"Wait, really?" Jared asked. "You're not just doing this because you like, you know, feel sorry or something?"

"No! No, I, I actually like you." Evan mumbled, blushing.

"Oh!" Jared said. "Well, how about coffee tomorrow at noon? There's this little place near my house called MoonCents...?"

"That sounds... wonderful, Jared." Evan stopped talking, listening to his ear piece. "Oh god, I'm so sorry, Jared. I have to, I have to go now, but I'll be there! I promise!" Evan started to turn back, but turn back to Jared to plant a kiss on his cheek. "See you tomorrow!"