Clana-Soulmat AU pt2

"Hey, uh, hey Alana!"

Connor instantly turned towards the approaching girl, hoping for accidental eye contact but with no such luck.

"Hi guys!" Alana sat down right next to Connor at the lunch table. "So, Evan, I was wondering if you're tree club would like to help with the recycling club? I was thinking maybe we could do something or another. I don't know, we could join up and plant a tree or something!" She said excitedly, as if she'd been thinking about this plan for a while.

"Oh, that, that sounds, that sounds very uh, very good but uh, I'm not... I'm not the leader? You'd have to, you'd have to talk to our president."

"Oh. Yeah, okay!" Alana said. Connor could tell that she deflated a bit in her seat, but she kept her smile on her face. "Well, anyway, how are you guys gonna-"

"Sup losers!" Jared yelled loudly as he sat down almost on top of Evan. He pulled him around for a kiss, then looked at Alana. "Alana, dude, what are you wearing?"

"Um," Alana glanced down at her outfit. "It's uh, it's a shirt and pants?"

"Yeah, Okay, But literally you're wearing lime green pants with a flannel. Did you even look in the mirror?"

Alana's face flushed. "Sorry. I didn't... I didn't see the colors."

"Oh shit, that's right. Cuz you don't have a soulmate yet." Evan hit him under the table, but Jared ignored him, not knowing when to stop. "How's your soulmate gonna like, you know, fall for you when you wear shit like that?" Jared asked, chuckling.

Alana quickly got up, leaving behind her stuff and walking away.

"Alana!" Connor called after her, grabbing their stuff and bolting. He followed her outside to the big oak tree, and set their stuff down. "Alana?" He asked quieter.

"Hi. Sorry. You can just leave my stuff here. I'll be fine."

Connor ignored her, and sat down right next to her. She instantly hugged herself, trying to cover up as much as she could.

"If fit makes you feel better... I thought you looked cute today." Alana scoffed.

"Yeah, sure Connor. I'm not... ugh." She put her head in her hands, forcing herself not to cry. "I'm so... bleh."

"You're really not." Connor started. "You're... a lot prettier than you think. And fuck Jared, you know? He's just self conscious so he picks on other people. He doesn't mean what he says, he just... hasn't had like, real friends before."

Alana dryly chuckled. "Okay, sure. But he was probably still telling the truth about my outfit. I've probably dressed like a slob for years without knowing." Quietly, she whispered to herself. "God I'm pathetic."

Connor thought for a moment before unzipping his jacket. He handed it to Alana. "Here. I know it's black. And... anything goes with black."

Alana chuckled, taking it from him. "Are you sure? I mean, you always wear this. I wouldn't want to..."

"No, it's fine. I have plenty."

As Alana zipped up the jacket, Connor asked her a question that had been bugging him for a while. "So... why don't you ever make eye contact? Don't you want to meet your soulmate?"

Alana stopped what she was doing, glancing at the ground. She took a deep breath, preparing herself. "I uh... I don't deserve to. My soulmate, whoever they are, deserves better. So I'm not going to make them suffer just because I'm their soulmate."

Connor was quiet for a moment. "Suffer?" He asked. "Alana, your soulmate would be the luckiest person on Earth. Shit, the things I'd do to be your soulmate."

Alana smiled, looking at Connors face but still not meeting his eyes. "Really?"

"Really." He promised. Alana blushed, and bit her lip. She forced herself to look into Connors piercing eyes, even if it was just this once.

And just like that, the world exploded into color.