- Chapter 24

"Why are you thanking me?"

"For your understanding..." Natsuya averted her eyes, "I thought that you would have some complaints..."

"Oh, right... can I still complain now?"

"You'd better not."

The two of them looked at each other again, and they both smiled.

"Let me introduce you." Natsuya Yoruhana looked behind Seiji, causing him to reflexively turn around as well. The legendary creature... no, girl was standing there!?

The short and petite middle schooler wearing large fluttery cat ears was watching him with her mysterious heterochromia eyes. Seiji hadn't even noticed when she had appeared in this room and stood behind him!

"She's one of my guardians as well as one of my Spirit-branded Retainers. Her name is Rana Kirin. On the surface, she's a first-year middle school student that enrolled this year, but she's a student in name only and has never attended any classes, for the supposed reason of being sick. She's actually one of my Guardian Retainers, and she often patrols the school grounds. She also goes to class on occasion, but without letting anyone notice her." Natsuya Yoruhana explained.

"Oh... hello." Seiji greeted the middle school girl named Rana. Her ears quivered before she suddenly jumped up and hugged him without saying anything. She then rubbed her face against Seiji's face! Seiji was startled as her refreshing body scent wafted into his nose.

"W... what's this?"

"It seems like she really likes you." Natsuya blinked, "Rana almost never gets so close with anyone—you're the only one I've ever seen her act this way with on the first meeting."

"I should feel happy... right?" Seiji glanced at the petite girl who was hugging him.

She had actually closed her eyes while hugging him—it seemed that she had the intention to rest on his body!

Seiji tried to move his hands and carefully hug the girl's body, which gave him an incredibly soft feeling. Rana wriggled and made a sound resembling a kitten's purr, before she snuggled in his arms quietly again.

"Wow..." Natsuya was astounded, "Even though she does that to me as well occasionally, this is her first time meeting you..." She had a complicated expression on her face, as if she was witnessing her beloved daughter fall in love with a complete stranger.

"I think... it's not our first meeting?" Seiji told Natsuya about seeing Rana on his first day after transferring.

"This means that she might have been paying attention to you all this time..." Natsuya voiced her thoughts out loud, "I wonder why...

"Why don't you just ask her directly?"