Chapter 115

Abnormality…

‘This seems like a scene out of Fate/Grand Order...’ Seiji coughed dryly.‘I should stop getting sidetracked!’

There was another moment of silence in the student council room.

Seiji finally spoke up again after digesting the information Natsuya had just told him.

"So, there’s no way to solve this?"

Natsuya shook her head.

"Nobody know why these abnormalities... how these unique existences came to be. Everything I just said about the ‘Sea of Karma’ and the ‘Reaper’s Curse’ are actually mere legends, although everybody believes in them.

"Yin Yang Masters can only comprehend their existence and what they can cause. We don’t know where these things originate from, or how to deal with them. Perhaps if it was some type of curse— demons or spirits—then that would be within our realm, but this... has far surpassed that. This is more like... a type of natural phenomenon."

A natural phenomenon.

It was like the passing of the seasons, or the changing of the weather?

That girl was carrying such a heavy burden!?

Seiji furrowed his brows.

"In the past... something like the ‘Reaper’s Curse’ must have appeared before, right? Then… what happened in the end?"

Natsuya sighed.

"This type of existence is incredibly rare; there are few records about it, so I’m not sure myself..."

Her expression changed as she came to a sudden realization.

"But there is... one legend."

"What is it?"

"It’s a legend about your ancestor, Seimei Kamijou." Natsuya looked directly into Seiji’s eyes.

"The legend goes something like this: your ancestor encountered a terrifying demon, whose mere presence brought down calamitous misfortune upon others. He battled with it for seven consecutive days and nights, before succeeding in its suppression. He then spent seventy-four days to positively influence and reform the demon. Finally, he signed a contract with it and turned it into one of his Spirit-branded Retainers.

"This Spirit-branded Retainer was later known as Guren. It was one of your ancestor’s 12 highest-ranked Spirit-branded Retainers."

Seiji was unable to formulate a response to all this.

"According to the legend’s description of that demon, it possessed something similar or equal to the ‘Reaper’s Curse.’ But at the time, people didn’t have a proper understanding of it, and everyone believed it to be a type of curse rather than a natural phenomenon, so its uncertain whether or not it really was the ‘Reaper’s Curse.’" Natsuya blinked."But even if it was, the only person powerful enough to subdue and coerce it to sign a contract was your ancestor. Nobody else could accomplish such a feat."

"There has never been anyone else like Seimei Kamijou. Nobody in existence before or after him has ever reached the same height as a Yin Yang Master."