Chapter Sixteen: Birthday Surprise

Elena groaned switching off the television, she was sick of the Olympics Games and she couldn't wait for them to be over; there wasn't anything decent on anymore since the games had started. 

Elena was lounged around the house since it was her day off, she had expected to spend the day with Robin since it was his twenty-ninth birthday but that hadn't been the case. 

José Ras had insisted that Robin spend the day with her and her ex-husband; she had a list of activities planned and had made sure that Elena knew that she wasn't welcome. 

Robin hadn't liked the idea of excluding his wife from the activities that his mother had planned for his birthday, however Elena had insisted that it was fine and told them to have a nice day. 

Bouchra would be dropping the children off in the evening and José Ras was excited to see her grandchildren; ever since Robin's divorce from their mother it had been hard for José Ras to see them. 

Elena sipped on her drink trying to figure out what she was forgetting, she had been married to Robin for nearly a month and a half and she had to admit that she was a lot happier than she thought she had been. 

Brushing her hair from her face, Elena glanced at her phone before shaking her head and thought about the date as she took a sip of her drink again; it was at that moment that she realised what she had forgotten. 

Elena choked on her drink as she quickly checked the date on her phone, shaking her head she couldn't believe that something like that had slipped her mind. 

Elena counted back to be sure before she cursed just as Robin and his parents arrived home; she smiled at them weakly as she moved passed them and raced upstairs and out of sight. 

Robin watched Elena concerned while his mother muttered about how rude Elena had been not to stop and greet them properly; Robin slipped away from his parents and upstairs after Elena wondering what was going on.

Robin watched Elena concerned checking something in the bathroom, she furrowed her brow and shook her head; he didn't know what was wrong but he hoped that everything was okay. 

"Lena?" Robin asked concerned making Elena jump looking at her, Robin walked towards her as she leant against the bathroom sink; he hated seeing her so distressed like this when things had been just fine. 

"Elena, what's wrong?" Robin asked worried trying to ignore the idea that was eating away at her; Robin took her hand when she didn't respond, she was starting to scare him that something might have happened while he was gone. 

"Elena?" Robin tried again this time gaining her full attention, he stared at her worried what had happened while he had been out with his parents; he wanted her to feel like she could tell him anything. 

Elena took a deep breath as she looked at Robin, she was suddenly frightened to tell him what she had realised; she wasn't sure how he was going to react to the news. 

"I'm late," Elena told him making Robin stare at her, they had been extra careful when they had had sex apart from two times; their wedding night and their first time in Robin's home when they had gotten carried away. 

"Are you sure?" Robin asked making Elena nod her head, she couldn't believe that this was happening; that she could become a mother so soon into their marriage. 

Elena chewed on her lip, she was worried that Robin would think that she had planned this; she knew how strange things had been and she didn't want things to go back to being like that.

***

After Elena's discovery that she was late for her period, the couple had been forced to act like everything was okay since Bouchra had arrived early with the children and it was clear from the start that she was up to something.