Chapter Thirty-Five: Damage Control

Robin and Nemanja carpooled to Carrington training ground the next day, the last few hours had been hell for the Dutchman and he knew that it would only get worse; it was all going downhill and fast. 

The media were having a field day with the news that Robin's second marriage was due to the fact that he had been drunk; Elena was refusing to leave home since his fans were baying for her blood.

 As Nemanja parked his Audi A5 next to Roxanne's Range Rover, Robin took a deep breathe; he couldn't thank the two enough for what they had done for him and Elena, he felt guilty that he had dragged them onto this. 

"How's Roxy?" Robin asked glancing at his team captain, the Serbian offered him a reassuring smile as they climbed out of the car, collected their training bags and headed into Carrington. 

"She's pissed. She's locking herself in the office not to talk with the lads. She is very disappointed with them all, especially Ryan," Nemanja said showing him the key to Roxanne's office since Roxanne had decided to lock herself in her office, so that she didn't have to speak to the other players. 

"I am so sorry about this happening Nemanja," Robin murmured if it weren't for him then this wouldn't be happening; the last thing that Roxanne and Nemanja needed was to be caught up in a media hell storm like this. 

"Don't worry about it. They should have taken this better. I really want to go to a gym session rather than face them. Care to join me?" Nemanja asked making Robin smile at him and nod; he didn't want to speak with his team-mates either after last night. 

The two men changed their direction towards the gym after they had told Tony that what they were doing so he could tell Sir Alex; while training in the gym, the two men talked about plans for Robin's unborn child, to take their minds off what was happening.

After about two and a half hours, Robin and Nemanja decided to have a break from their work-out; they quickly showered before they walked to Roxanne's office to see how she was doing. 

The two men stopped walking as they spotted Rio outside of Roxanne's office trying to open the door but it was clearly locked; he looked frustrated and it was clear that he wasn't having much luck. 

"I thought I saw Roxy's car outside," Rio mumbled confused on why the door was locked making the other two footballers share a knowing smile; they wondered how many of their team-mates had tried to speak with Roxanne during the day. 

"Maybe she went to Starbucks," Nemanja suggested with a shrug making Rio frown slightly as he looked at the door; Robin watched as the Englishman bit his lip as if he wanted to say something but he decided against it. 

"Could be I guess. Just wanted to talk to her," Rio mumbled after a moment's silence, Nemanja glanced at Robin nervously as Rio shifted from foot to foot; things were clearly going to be a little awkward for a while. 

"Yeah I wouldn't she's super pissed," Nemanja said making Rio frown as he looked back at the door, he couldn't blame her for being angry but he hoped she could understand why they had reacted the way they had. 

"Fine, just tell her that all of us need to talk ASAP," Rio muttered starting back to the training field, he looked a little disappointed that he couldn't speak with Roxanne as Nemanja said that he would tell her what he had said. 

As soon as Rio had left, Nemanja unlocked the door with the key he had so that he and Robin could go inside; he smiled at his wife knowing that she would have heard everything that had been said.

"Hey hun. I heard what Rio said but I would literally probably yell at them and strangle my dad. So not a good idea," Roxanne said offering the two men a small smile as they stepped into her office.