Chapter Forty-Two: Christmas Eve

Elena held back a laugh watching Robin, who glared at her as he tried to figure out what he had to do with the chicken; it had been agreed that if Robin could pull off the Christmas Eve roast that he could cook Christmas dinner. 

"Are you sure that you don't want my help?" Elena asked watching him from her place at the kitchen table, Robin shook his head as he eyed her twenty-five week pregnancy bump. 

Elena sighed carefully getting herself to her feet and moved toward him before she kissed him softly, before she heard her mother call for her; she sighed pulling away from Robin a little annoyed. 

Robin smiled at her softly before Elena left the kitchen making Robin stared at after her for a moment longer before he pulled out his phone and called Nemanja, he knew that the Serbian and Roxanne would be able to help him with his dilemma. 

Moving about as he prepared the vegetables and pre-heated the oven, Robin waited for the call to be answered; he wanted to have at least a bit done before he was on the phone. 

"Hello Nem," Robin greeted once his captain and friend answered the phone, he was glad that he had been able to get a hold of him before he was too busy. 

Nemanja happily greeted him in return before he asked what Robin needed; he knew from the frazzled tone that the Dutchman had used that it was important. 

"I need your help... I'm cooking the Christmas Eve roast dinner and I have no idea how to do it," Robin explained glancing around the kitchen, he didn't want Elena to know that he was calling for help since she'd insist on doing it. 

"Okay Robin... Roxy gave me her mum's recipe and she said you should follow every step," Nemanja reassured before he recited the recipe back to Robin, who sighed relieved as he wrote down what he was being told.

"Thank you so much," Robin said relieved, he ran a hand through his hair, he wanted to show that he could handle doing dinner tomorrow since Elena and her parents couldn't really do much in their current conditions. 

"You're welcome mate. By the way Roxy and I have some news. Is Elena near you?" Nemanja asked making Robin furrow his brow as he moved out of the kitchen to call for Elena, he wondered what their friends had to tell them. 

"Hold on let me call her down," Robin murmured before he called for Elena as he put the phone on speaker, she appeared looking confused before Robin explained that Roxanne and Nemanja were on the phone. 

"So what's up?" Elena asked concerned, she didn't know what to expect from her friends especially now that they were looking after her parents; she hoped it wasn't more bad news since she'd had enough of that. 

Robin wrapped his arms around the brunette as they stared at the phone, they had heard from Coleen that Roxanne had been a little ill in the past few days. 

"Well... I am pregnant," Roxanne revealed making Robin and Elena grin at one another, this meant that Manchester United were now expecting three babies next year and they were sure that was just the start; Elena was due in April and Coleen was due in May. 

"Oh my god that is so awesome. But it is one baby right, this time?" Elena asked making Robin chuckle, they both knew how tired their friends were with the twins getting older, more mobile and active. 

"Yes, it's one baby," Roxanne reassured amused making the younger brunette nod as she leant back into Robin's arms as he rubbed her stomach, he couldn't wait for their own baby to be born. 

The couple hadn't really put much thought to their second wedding or unborn daughter since her parents had been in their accident.

"When are you due?" Elena asked curiously, she was happy for her friend and that her sickness wasn't something serious; she rested a hand on her bump, she couldn't wait for her little girl to be born. 

"June," Roxanne replied making Robin chuckle at the thought of all three babies being born within a month of each other; everyone would find that amusing when they found out about it. 

"You should post it on twitter like Wazza and Coleen did, saves you having to wait to tell everyone in one go," Robin suggested making Elena nod; she didn't think that Roxanne would appreciate Nemanja doing what Robin did to announce their pregnancy to the world. 

"That's a good idea actually," Roxanne said making Robin roll his eyes kissing Elena's neck after she had nudged him knowing what he was thinking about. 

The couple had both avoided twitter since Robin had signed for the club, Robin hadn't been able to cope with the amount of threats that had been aimed at his family. 

After talking for a little while, Elena and Roxanne left to check on their children leaving the two footballers to talk; they both knew that it would be a while before things were quiet again. 

"I should be back for the match against West Brom on the 29th of December," Robin mumbled, he knew that he couldn't have much more time off since he had been missing for nearly a week now. 

Elena's parents were planning on coming up to Manchester for a little while to recover from what happened, they wanted to spend more time with their daughter. 

"Well I guess I'll see you in a few days mate. Have fun," Nemanja teased making Robin nod, he hadn't really thought about football since he had been in London; his thoughts had been focused on the fact that someone had cut his in-laws brakes and had nearly killed them. 

"See you soon and have a great Christmas. Send my wishes to Roxy and the children too," Robin mused shaking the bad thoughts from his mind; he had the feeling that whoever had done this wasn't finished.

"Will do... Have a great Christmas too. Send our wishes to all. Bye," Nemanja said just as Elena re-entered the kitchen with a smile on her face; once Robin had disconnected the phone, he raised an eyebrow at his wife. 

"I have to pop out for a while... mum wants to finish her Christmas shopping; the children are in the living room playing with my dad," Elena revealed making Robin nod with a nervous smile. 

David had been released from hospital the day before and he wasn't happy that he had been told that he needed to rest as much as possible. 

Allison was also taking it easy and was enjoying having her daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren home for Christmas; the older woman seemed to thrive about having her family around her. 

"Drive carefully," Robin murmured cupping Elena's face and kissed her as Allison walked into the kitchen; the brunette smiled as she watched them kiss, she had honestly thought that they'd never have a family Christmas again after their fight about Robin and Elena's marriage. 

"I will... we shouldn't be long," Elena reassured with a smile, she had finally gotten Robin's gift and she had to say that she was impressed with it. 

"Have fun cooking... try not to give us all food poisoning," Allison teased while Elena pulled away from Robin and collected her coat, he rolled his eyes at his mother-in-law and looked at the recipe that Nemanja had given him as Elena and Allison left. 

Biting his lip, Robin slowly started to follow the recipe that he had been given; he couldn't wait to see the look on his in-laws faces if he pulled this off. 

Elena knew that he was sort of hopeless in the kitchen and he hoped that he could prove to her that he was capable of looking after her and their children when she needed him to. 

###

Author's Note: 

Check out MrsVidic's story, A Footballer's Daughter for Roxanne's side of the story.