Chapter Twenty-Four: The Baby Scan

Robin grinned at the sight of his mother-in-law when he opened the front door to greet Allison and David; they had driven up from London for a couple of days since they had wanted to visit. 

"Robin, it's nice to see you again," Allison greeted hugging her son-in-law, who watched David warily; he knew that the older man wasn't happy that he had left Arsenal and moved across the country with his daughter. 

"David remember what we talked about," Allison warned sending her husband a warning look as she stepped back away from Robin; he Dutchman smiled at his father-in-law, who looked annoyed at his wife's words. 

"It's nice to see you again, Mr. Addams," Robin said politely watching David frown at him, Allison smacked Robin's arm and smiled at him; this was going to be difficult but she wasn't about to allow her husband to mess this up for her, she wanted to be a part of Elena's new life. 

"None of that Mr. and Mrs. Addams crap, you can call us Allison and David," Allison insisted before disappearing off into the house to find Elena leaving the two men alone. 

Robin shifted nervously looking at his father-in-law, he didn't want any problems especially since there was going to be a baby soon; he wanted everything to be as calm as possible. 

"So how has work been?" Robin asked, he had heard from Elena that her father followed Arsenal religiously since he was a little boy and his decision to transfer wouldn't have made him happy. 

David stared at him for a moment, his wife had threatened to kill him if he didn't play nice with Robin; they were here to celebrate their first biological grandchild and Allison was insistent that he would not ruin this for her. 

"Work has been fine thank you," David murmured stiffly making Robin nod his head awkwardly before Allison called the two men into the kitchen so that they could have a drink before the doctor's appointment.

***

Elena sighed as she brushed some hair from her eyes, Roxanne had been helpful enough to give the couple the details of her midwife so that Elena could see someone without having to worry about her private life being leaked to the press. 

"Mum would you sit down," Elena hissed as Allison messed around with the board that was in front of them, the older brunette rolled her eyes as she looked at her daughter. 

David had offered to take care of Shaqueel and Dina for the day while Robin, Elena and Allison where at the midwife's office; though it was clear that Allison wanted to be the one doing the scan herself. 

Robin took his wife's hand and gave it a squeeze, he knew that she was a little worried about how the scan would go; they had no idea what was going to happen and they hoped that the scan went well. 

"Relax," Robin murmured when Elena started to tap her foot as Allison sat next to her daughter; the three sat in silence for a while until the midwife called for them. 

"Mrs. van Persie," the midwife called making Allison make a weird noise, Elena and Robin just looked at her oddly as they stood up; the older woman grinned at her daughter and shook her head. 

Allison could not get used to the idea that Elena was a van Persie now and she loved the sound of it; she was sure that it would be that way for a long time. 

The midwife smiled at them and led them into her office, she closed the door behind them and signalled for them to take a seat; she moved to close her desk so that she could sit down and get started. 

"I'm Jessica and I will be your midwife for the next few months," the midwife said introducing herself to the couple and Elena's mother who pouted, she was sure that it was going to be a good pregnancy.

Jessica smiled softly as she looked over the chart in front of her and nodded at a couple of things, she was pleased with the results that she had from Elena's tests; she was sure it would be all straight forward. 

"Everything is looking good on this end, your blood work looks good and all your tests in London came back perfect," Jessica explained since Elena and Robin had gone to see a doctor while they had lived back in London, shortly after they had discovered that the brunette was pregnant. 

It was just to confirm the pregnancy and this would be the first time they actually got to see their baby; a small fact that they were looking forward to. 

"Shall we have a look see then?" Jessica asked making Robin swallowed at the thought of something being wrong with the baby or that the move had done some sort of damage. 

After giving Elena a quick check over, Jessica prepared for the scan, she was pleased with how everything looked and she knew that she couldn't ask for better. 

"Have you put any thought into your delivery plan yet?" Jessica asked as she started up the ultrasound machine, however before either Robin and Elena could reply Allison spoke up. 

"I'll be the one delivering the baby since I'm also a midwife," Allison said making Jessica nod her head, she was sure that the couple would decide for themselves. 

Robin looked at his wife who shrugged not completely sure what had gotten into her mother; she had a feeling that Allison was a little jealous about not being the one looking after her daughter while she was pregnant.

***

What is it I'm looking at?" David asked staring at the imagine that he had been handed making Allison roll her eyes at him annoyed; he might have been a surgeon, pregnancy scans weren't his thing. 

David grinned at Allison who walked out of the room while Elena settled on the couch next to Robin, who wrapped his arm around her; they were both very happy with how the scan had gone. 

"The jellybean," Elena explained amused making Robin chuckle at her nickname for their baby; its current appearance reminded her of a jellybean. 

Robin watched David stare at the image confused for a moment, he could see that he had no idea still what he was looking for; he was sure that in time it would become easier to see. 

"Still don't know anything about baby's dad," Elena teased making David chuckle and nod his head as he handed the scan back, babies weren't his sort of thing, even though he loved his daughter; he still found it odd that his wife got overexcited about them even if they weren't related to her. 

"Nope, I couldn't even see you when your mother went for pregnancy scans, I just nodded my head and smiled to keep her happy," David replied smiling looking between his daughter and her husband; he was pleased to see that she was so settled in her life with the footballer. 

Robin rubbed a hand up and down Elena's arm as she cuddled into his side, he couldn't believe that she was carrying his baby and things were going so well for them despite only being married and knowing each other for nearly ten weeks.

Robin sighed as he remembered that Bouchra was coming the next weekend to see the children, he knew that it wasn't going to be a pleasant visit with her bringing Ewan with her. 

Robin hoped that his ex-wife didn't cause any trouble when she was visiting; he didn't need her causing any problems with Elena while she was pregnant since he wanted things to go smoothly for them now that they were going to have a baby.