Chapter Forty: Suspicious Accidents

The three and a half hour drive to London had been madding for Elena, she had been in constant contact with Mrs. Daniels, who had called her to inform her of the accident that had happened. 

From what the police had gathered, David and Allison had been driving home when David who had been driving in the rain had lost control of their car; they had driven off a bridge and into the freezing river below. 

Robin was doing his best to comfort his wife, he knew that she felt guilty as if it had been her fault that they had crashed. 

Mrs. Daniels could only give the brunette so much information since she wasn't family and the doctors and police were being tight lipped about David and Allison's conditions. 

Arriving at the hospital reception, Robin took his wife's hand as they approached the desk and he knew that whatever happened that he wasn't going to leave her to deal with any of this alone. 

"Hello... I'm looking for Mr and Mrs Addams, I'm their daughter," Elena said making the receptionist nod as she looked at her for a moment before she started to type in the names on her computer. 

It was another moment before the receptionist spoke, Robin wrapped his arms around his wife; he knew that his in-laws had been lucky to make it this far if they had survived. 

"I'll inform Dr. Lawson that you are here," the receptionist said as she signalled for the couple to take a seat, her eyes lingering on Elena's bump as she paged the doctor so that he could come and speak with them. 

Robin carefully hugged Elena, he knew that the team were praying for her parents, plus he didn't want to stress her out more than necessary; he wondered why things couldn't just be easy for them. 

"What if I lose them Robin?" Elena whimpered, she had never thought that she would be in this position; she had thought that she'd have a chance to win her parents around to her marriage and now they were in the hospital.

"It'll be okay Lena... whatever happens I am here for you," Robin promised as a doctor walked into the reception and the receptionist pointed to the couple to show him where they were. 

Dr. Lawson swallowed taking note of the pregnant woman that he had been directed to; he knew that too much bad news wouldn't be good for her especially when she appeared to be so heavily pregnant. 

"Ms. Addams?" Dr. Lawson asked softly making Elena and Robin look at him, it had been five and a half months since anyone had called her Ms. Addams and it was a little strange to hear. 

"Mrs. van Persie," Elena corrected making Dr. Lawson apologise as he signalled for the couple to follow him to a private room so that they could talk about her parents. 

Robin squeezed Elena's hand in comfort as they sat in the office while Dr. Lawson checked over her parents medical records. 

"I'll start with your mother... she sustained a fractured shoulder, a punctured lung, broken ribs, a concussion but is currently doing very well," Dr. Lawson informed making Elena nod as she took in what he was saying; she was grateful that she had completed medical school so she knew how bad each of the injuries were. 

"Now your father... he has shattered ribs, ruptured his spleen which required surgery and broke his arm and leg, however he slipped into a coma shortly after the operation," Dr. Lawson said as tears welled in Elena's eyes; she had imagined things much worse from an accident like her parents had been in. 

Robin hugged his wife as there was a knock at the door before two police officers stepped into the room; the Dutchman furrowed his brow confused at why they were here. 

Dr. Lawson sighed looking at the couple and told them that he would be outside while the officers talked to them about the crash.

***

Allison smiled weakly looking at her pregnant daughter as Elena stepped into her hospital room; she was surprised that Elena had come all this way after what had happened in the past few months. 

"I didn't think you would come," Allison mumbled embarrassed by her actions while Elena moved to sit down beside her hospital bed; she had no idea what to say to Elena after everything that had happened. 

Robin had insisted that he stay outside so that they could talk in private, he didn't want to cause more problems with her family after everything that had happened. 

"Of course I came," Elena said making her mother smile weakly at her as she took her daughter's left hand; she admired the wedding ring that was on her finger. 

Allison blinked back tears as she looked at the ring making Elena look at her guiltily, she hated how her parents had found out the truth and she wished that she had told them sooner. 

"I'm sorry for lying about my wedding... I didn't want you to be disappointed in me and I really do love Robin," Elena apologised making Allison stare at her, the two of them were silent while her apology sunk in. 

Allison sniffed making the brunette look at her confused, she wondered what had happened to make her mother so upset; it was clear that this wasn't over the car crash. 

"I'm sorry for demanding that you get divorced... I only wanted what was best for you," Allison said crying softly making Elena's own tears start to fall, the two women allowed themselves to cry a little. 

Elena sniffled and handed Allison a tissue, she hated that this was how they had been reunited and she prayed that her father was going to be okay. 

"We're getting married again the 1st of July 2013," Elena explained making Allison smile at her daughter's news; she knew that it would be best to put their silly argument behind them and look towards the future now.

"We have a venue booked, Thornton Manor. We'll first get married inside the manor while the reception will be held in the lakeside marquee," Elena described the details of her wedding that had already been arranged; Allison listened knowing that she wanted to be there. 

"How is Robin?" Allison asked curiously, she had noticed that her son-in-law wasn't here and it worried her that Elena had travelled alone while she was pregnant; whoever had cut the breaks on the car had wanted to hurt them, Allison hated the idea that they'd come after Elena or her grandchildren. 

"He's okay... he's outside actually, he's asking Roxanne and Nem if they'll have the children tonight since we are here," Elena relied making Allison nod as she took a deep breath, however before she could ask her daughter to get the Dutchman, Robin warily stepped into the room. 

Allison offered him a small smile as he moved to sit next to Elena, who kissed him softly while her mother watched fondly knowing that she had been stupid. 

"I owe you an apology Robin... you make my daughter happy and that's all I have ever wanted," Allison said making Robin smile at her as he wrapped his arms around Elena, he knew that she had just been worried for Elena. 

"It's okay Allison," Robin reassured making his mother-in-law weakly shake her head, she closed her eyes as she winced forgetting how sore she was from the crash. 

Allison just hoped that she wouldn't be spending the holidays in hospital, she had no idea when she would be released but she hoped that it would be soon; she wanted to sleep in her own bed again.