Chapter Fifty-Nine: Unbreak My Heart

At thirty-four weeks pregnant, Elena never thought that she'd be in this position as she listened to what the doctor had to say; she didn't know if she could lose Robin and it was clear that it might not be her choice anymore. 

"You don't think he'll wake up," Elena asked to be sure that she'd heard the doctor right completely devastated with what she had been told; Coleen looked at her friend as she realised that this wasn't what she had expected to hear. 

The doctor sighed and shook his head, it had been a month since Robin had attempted to take his own life and while everything seemed find with him now; there was just no sign of him waking up. 

"Physically... Mr. van Persie is fine, but he doesn't seem to be recovering mentally," the doctor explained carefully not wanting to upset Elena more than needed, she nodded her head heartbrokenly wanting nothing more than for her husband to wake up and tell her he loved her. 

Coleen wrapped an arm around Elena in comfort as the doctor left them alone to decide the next step knowing it was a difficult decision; the beeping of Robin's heart monitor filled the room as they sat in silence. 

"He can't leave me," Elena whimpered slowly breaking down, she couldn't lose Robin; she'd forgiven him for his mistake long ago and wanted nothing more than her husband back so they could focus on the impending birth of their first child together. 

"It'll be okay Lena... Robin's stronger than this," Coleen comforted worrying for her best friend, she knew all of this stress wouldn't be good for the baby and she wasn't sure that Elena could handle losing the Dutchman like this.

Wayne looked at his wife, he knew that she was worried about what this could do to Elena, they all were; but Robin wasn't going to die he was stronger than that. 

Coleen watched as Elena moved away from her and sat back by Robin's side, taking his hand she went back to watching him in silence; she refused to give up on him, he had to wake up.

Coleen opened her mouth to say something before Wayne stopped her, he shook his head before leading his wife out of them hospital room where Elena was grieving for her husband to give her some space. 

"You're an idiot, a stupid selfish idiot. I don't know why you thought that this was the only way out," Elena ranted shaking her head sadly; she didn't know what to do anymore and she suddenly felt the need to rant at him. 

It made her feel better since Elena knew when the doctor returned that he would want her to make a decision on whether they pulled the plug and allowed Robin to pass away. 

"I love you... I love you so much and if you don't wake up, Robin... I don't know what I would ever do without you," Elena pleaded as tears trailed down her face, moving to sit on the hospital bed next to him; she took his hand, the way the doctors were talking it was like he would at die any moment and there was nothing they could do. 

"You need to wake up... Shaqueel needs you, Dina needs you, Arabella needs you... I need you," Elena whispered, her voice cracking and she tried to keep herself calm as she spoke to him; the brunette ran a hand through her hair as she watched him for a moment. 

There was no sign of movement apart from the regular up and down movement of his chest, Elena couldn't believe that she was going to be a widow after eight months of marriage; it scared her more than anything else. 

"I thought we'd grow old together, have grandchildren that sort of thing, I love you so much... just please come back to me," Elena continued before she pressed a kiss to Robin's lips, as she pulled away the brunette felt something brush against her face making her pause.