Chapter Fifty-Eight: Proving Innocence

The next person on the stand was Charles Lewis, he straightened out his suit as he took his oath before he sat down at the dock; he glanced at Ewan, whose accusations were becoming weaker by the minute. 

Charles hoped that he was going to be able to make things right, he wanted nothing more than to protect Robin and his family.

"You were the officer in charge of the case after Mr. McDonald's driving killed his former fiancée and left Mr. van Persie in hospital and injured his former wife, can you shed some light on Mr. McDonald's state of mind after the accident?" the lawyer asked making Charles breathe in through his nose, he looked at Ewan for a moment before he decided how to respond. 

He hated that Ewan had ruined things for Robin, Charles didn't want anyone else to suffer like his friend; he wanted nothing more than to get Ewan the help that he needed before he ruined another life. 

"Mr. McDonald slipped into depression shortly after Francesca Jones passed. He was angry about what had happened which was understandable. However he started to blame Mr. van Persie for the crash, though Mr. McDonald was the one drink driving. He became obsessed that Mr. van Persie should pay for the death of Ms. Jones and I was a little worried when I heard that Mrs. McDonald had left Mr. van Persie to marry him," Charles explained making the crowd whisper amongst themselves. 

No one was liking what they were hearing about Ewan, his story was falling apart and everyone could see it; Ewan clearly had an agenda for targeting Robin and Nemanja in all of this. 

Charles looked over at Elena, he wanted to make sure that she didn't have to deal with all of this mess again; she deserved better especially when she was meant to be preparing for her baby's birth.

"I monitored Mr. McDonald for a while to make sure that he wasn't a danger to anyone, however he started to clean up his behaviour and after I had spoken to Mr. and Mrs. van Persie it was clear to me that Mr. McDonald was using the now Mrs. McDonald as an attempt to get revenge for something that he had caused," Charles continued after a pause, he wanted to tell everyone what they were dealing with. 

Looking at Ewan, he hated that the other man didn't even look guilty about what he had done; Robin lay in a coma with little movement to wake up and Ewan had done that to him. 

Bouchra stared at the back of her husband's head, she had no idea what Charles was talking about but she waited for Ewan to deny that he had ever used her in such away. 

Slowly it started to dawn on Bouchra that Charles was telling the truth, her stomach dropped as she realised that the man that she had left everything for had no interest or love for her and that broke her heart. 

Tears filled Bouchra's eyes as she climbed to her feet and rushed out of the court room so that she didn't have to face humiliation anymore, no one moved to follow after her while Ewan's cold focus remained on Charles. 

There was no way that his plan could fail and he was sure that everyone that had ever wronged him would suffer that day; Ewan crossed his arms certain that this was still all going to work out in his favour.

The two lawyers thanked Charles before allowing him to step down, they shared a look knowing that there was a lot of things that Ewan's lawyer didn't know about his client and it was all coming out of the wood-work now at the worst possible time for it to be revealed.

***

Roxanne held back a yawn while the defence was preparing to call their final witness to the stand so that they could finish the trial; they had also wheeled a television into the court room for this part. 

The prosecution had fought hard to make things harder for the defence and it would be down to the jury to decide what the verdict was; things were clearly on their side and everyone was hoping that it would stay that way. 

"For our final witness we call to the stand... Mr. Wayne Rooney," Robin's lawyer called smiling at Nemanja's lawyer, who had moved towards the television and popped something inside the DVD player while Wayne recited the oath on the bible. 

Elena stretched a little, they had been in the court for hours now even with a small break but she was glad that it all seemed to be going so well for them right now. 

"Mr. Rooney... could you please confirm where Mr. van Persie and Mr. Vidic where the day that Mr. McDonald says they attacked him," Robin's lawyer asked looking up at the man before him, he knew that this would be the final nail in the coffin to Ewan's lies. 

Elena and Roxanne stared at the Scouser, they wondered what was on the DVD that had been put into the television; they had a feeling that everything was going to work out for them. 

"We played in the Manchester United match against Tottenham Hotspur... the match started at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and after the match we headed to Ryan Giggs' place for dinner with the children. We played a bit of FIFA for a bit and then headed home about eight o'clock," Wayne explained making the lawyer nod before he turned to face the crowded court room; he seemed smug about something that the prosecution didn't know. 

Chewing on her lip, Elena tried to work out what was going on and she hoped that it was some good news; the lawyers seemed confident about whatever was going to happen and she prayed that finally things would turn around.

"Can you confirm that you are the one filming this clip?" Nemanja's lawyer said before pressing play, revealing a video on the television which showed Robin and Nemanja play arguing while the played FIFA; the video had the date and time of the attack on it, which meant there was no way it could have been them. 

Elena and Roxanne grinned as they realised that Wayne had saved the day, Ewan's lawyer stared at his client as the judge signalled for the police officer to be detained for providing false evidence. 

Everything that he had heard today had made him wonder how the hell the police had deemed Ewan well enough to return to work, he was clearly unhinged and in need of help if he thought that this would have gotten him revenge. 

"This case is dismissed," the judge announced making the Manchester United crowd cheer in celebration; Coleen hugged Elena while Nemanja shared a kiss with Roxanne, things were finally starting to turn around. 

Elena tried to ignore the ache in her chest that Robin should have been here to celebrate with them, she wished that he hadn't done what he had; she wasn't sure when she would get to tell him the wonderful news. 

"It'll be okay Lena... Robin will see sense," Coleen promised Elena knowing that the brunette was missing Robin; they all knew how much Robin now regretted his panicked divorce question. 

They just hoped that when he woke up from his coma that he would make it right, there was no way that anyone could see Elena and Robin actually getting divorced. 

However until Robin woke up, Elena was going to be alone, something they hoped wouldn't be for long since her due date was creeping closer and the Dutchman needed to be there.