Chapter Sixty-Eight: Spending the Night Apart

Robin buried his hands into Elena's hair as he kissed her, he didn't want to leave but they were getting married tomorrow and he was spending the night at Ryan's with the groom's men while Elena's bridal party stayed at the house. 

"I love you," Elena whispered brushing her fingers through Robin's hair, he nuzzled her head as he kissed her neck; this was tradition but it was going to kill him to be away from her tonight after everything. 

They had just held a rehearsal dinner in the back garden, the children were all settled down for the night and it was now time for Robin to leave so that they could all get some sleep before tomorrow. 

"I love you too," Robin murmured kissing Elena again, Thomas Vermaelen rolled his eyes; he was the Dutchman's best man for this wedding and he was happy to see Robin this happy after what had happened with Bouchra. 

"Come on lovebirds, it's time to say goodbye," Wayne shouted as he kissed Coleen and prepared to head to Ryan's for the night; Robin sighed as he released Elena, who flashed him a small smile before Wayne linked the Dutchman's arm and started to led him out of the house. 

"Bye Lena, we'll make sure he's at the wedding on time," Wayne shouted making Thomas chuckle as he and Nemanja followed after them. Elena looked at Coleen a little worried since they knew how much of a problem Wayne had sometimes at getting anywhere on time. 

Lydia grinned appearing from the kitchen holding the phone, she had the whole night planned since Elena's parents were having the children for the night. 

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Roxanne murmured knowing that there was no way that Nemanja would allow Robin to miss his wedding, she trusted him to have everything under control.

***

Holding back her laugh, Elena grinned listening as Lydia told the story about when the brunette had broken into the school library making Roxanne and Coleen stare at her in surprise. 

The four had changed into their pyjamas and were now enjoying themselves after having some dinner, they'd ordered in and were now relaxing knowing how big tomorrow was. 

Elena leant back in her printed satin pyjama set and sipped on her glass of champagne, she watched Coleen pull something out of her wardrobe that was encased in a dress bag; she smiled a little knowing what was inside. 

Roxanne tilted her head confused while Lydia grinned as she realised what it was; Elena hadn't wanted it to get ruined and had packed it safely away. 

"It's the dress I wore for mine and Robin's first wedding," Elena explained making Coleen and Roxanne look at her, the geo print wrap top dress wasn't what they had expected Elena's first wedding dress to look like; they had expected something a bit clubbier but that wasn't Elena's style. 

Coleen admired the dress, she had to admit that she found it sweet that Elena had put it somewhere safe even if her first wedding hadn't been perfect. 

"I can't believe that tomorrow is your wedding anniversary," Lydia teased making Elena pause for a moment and nod her head, she couldn't believe herself how fast the last year had passed by and now she was preparing to remarry Robin in front of their friends and family. 

"I mean... it feels like only yesterday that you were stumbling into that church in Las Vegas," Lydia teased making Elena roll her eyes before she paused and looked at her friend curiously. 

 Elena raised an eyebrow at her making Lydia bit her lip nervously as she realised that she had been caught; she had never thought that she would reveal this little bit of truth to her friend after everything.

"I wasn't drunk when you married Robin," Lydia revealed slowly making Roxanne and Coleen stare at her wide-eyed in shock, she had no idea how her friend was going to react but at least she now knew what had happened. 

It had been a good night but Lydia had wanted nothing more than to protect her best friend and watching her marry Robin had been just one thing that had happened. 

"I know I should have stopped the two of you... but you were both so happy," Lydia said with a shrug knowing that if she had stopped Elena from marrying Robin in Las Vegas then they wouldn't be here happy married a year later. 

Staring at Lydia for a moment, Elena didn't know if she should be surprised or angry at what her best friend had done; it suddenly raised a lot of questions for Elena especially about the night she had originally married Robin. 

"So if you would have stopped me from marrying Robin... none of this would have happened," Elena breathed realising just how close she had come to never having married Robin or having him in her life; it was something that scared her, now that he meant the world to her. 

Lydia nodded her head as she watched her friend curiously wondering what Elena was thinking about, she hoped she had done the right thing by revealing her secret; she hadn't even told David about what she had done worried that it would reflect badly on her. 

Coleen and Roxanne shared a look, they couldn't imagine never meeting Robin and Elena; it was a thought that just seemed strange now and they were glad that it had happened. 

"Scary thought?" Roxanne asked making Elena nod, it was thinking back to the moment where Lydia could have stopped them that scared her; just one word from her could have changed Elena and Robin's entire lives.

Elena chewed on her lip, she couldn't imagine what her life would have been like and how much her life would have been different if she had never married Robin; it was sort of sad to think about it. 

"Just thinking how different my life would have been if you'd have stopped us," Elena said shivering making Lydia flash her a smile; she could see that the brunette wasn't mad at her for not stopping her from marrying Robin. 

Lydia was glad that her friend wasn't, she just wanted to make everything perfect and she couldn't imagine what tomorrow would bring. 

There was nothing that could go wrong as far as Lydia was concerned, she wanted the day to be perfect and she was determined for it to a day that nobody would forget. 

"I can't really imagine my life without Robin..." Elena admitted wondering what she would be doing now if she hadn't married the Dutchman, who claimed her heart and soul. 

Her life was perfect now and Elena loved being a mother to their three children, she adored the time that she spent with them and watching Arabella grow day by day. 

"It's lucky that you'll never have to find out," Coleen reassured making Elena nod her head and smile at her as they quickly turned their attention away from what could have been to what was. 

They didn't need to think about bad things that might have happened, tomorrow was going to be a wonderful day and everyone was going to have a good day. 

"Alright ladies... the bride needs her beauty sleep so let's all settle down for the night," Lydia said clapping her hands, Elena grinned at the thought of her wedding tomorrow; she couldn't wait to see Robin's face when he saw her in her wedding dress.