Chapter Fifty-Seven: The Court Case

Elena held Robin's hand listening intently to the beeping of the heart monitor, she couldn't believe that he had tried to take his life; she had felt sick when Nemanja had sat her down and told her what had happened. 

The last two weeks since Robin had attempted to take his life had been draining and Elena had forced herself to carry on, she knew that when Robin woke up that they'd have to talk. 

Wiping away a couple of her tears, Elena looked down at her husband knowing that she would have to leave to go to court soon; she wasn't looking forward to it but the sooner that the truth came out the better. 

"I love you Robin... I need you to wake up," Elena whimpered softly squeezing his hand, he felt so cold and it scared her that he wouldn't wake up; she had no idea what was going to happen if things stayed like this. 

Popping his head into the hospital room and Wayne offered her a sad smile, he hated to see them like this and felt horrible that he had to tell Elena that it was time to leave. 

Today was the first day of the inquiry and they had to be there to talk through the evidence that disproved Ewan's claims; they needed to get going and Robin would be fine here in the hospital. 

"Elena... we have to go," Wayne said softly making Elena nod watching at Robin, she wished she knew what had driven him to do such a thing; there had been dozens of letters written by Robin in the room where he'd tried to kill himself, all addressed to Elena about how much he loved her. 

"I'll be back later... hopefully your name will have been cleared," Elena said pressing a kiss to Robin's head before she stood and left the room knowing that she would do anything to have him back. 

Shaqueel and Dina had returned from Rotterdam since they were key parts of the evidence that stated that Robin hadn't attacked Ewan; it was going to be a long day for them all.

***

The court room was crowded as everyone gathered to prove that Robin and Nemanja were innocent; Bouchra was sat with Ewan and was glaring at Elena, who was sat with Shaqueel. 

"Please be standing for Judge Matthews," announced a voice making Elena sigh moving to her feet, the brunette was wearing a maternity slinky wrap skater dress with blouson sleeve since it was one of the more comfortable items that she owed that suited the occasion. 

Judge Matthews entered the room and nodded before he moved to his seat, once he was seated everyone else sat down; Robin's absence was already noted by the court due to him being in a coma in hospital. 

"We are here today for the assault case of Robin van Persie and Nemanja Vidic against Ewan McDonald," the judge announced looking at Nemanja and the two lawyers; Roxanne took Elena's hand in comfort, they hoped Robin's hospitalisation wouldn't cause more problems for the case. 

Nemanja's lawyer licked his lips as he moved towards the stand, it was important that this worked out well and he hoped to prove that Ewan was not of sound mind. 

"I'd like to call my first witness to the stand. Mrs. Elena van Persie," the lawyer said making Elena stare at him; Nemanja swallowed, he'd hoped that they'd leave Elena out of this since she was heavily pregnant but clearly that wasn't the case. 

Taking a deep breath, Elena looked at Roxanne who nodded at her as she silently asked her to look after Shaqueel while she took the stand to give evidence against the man that had practically ruined her life. 

Taking to the stand, Elena took a deep breath as the court official placed a bible in front of her, the brunette took a deep breath as she placed her left hand on it; she had no reason to lie and she was going to tell the complete truth.