Chapter Forty-One: Coming Together

Elena stared at her father, it had been three days since the car crash and there hadn't been any improvements to his condition; her mother would be released from hospital later that day since she was well enough to go home. 

Watching her father, Elena couldn't believe that someone had done this to her parents; she was confident that the police would find whoever was responsible and deal with them. 

Robin had headed back to Manchester to collect the children and stuff for them to stay at Elena's parents' home for Christmas; he has been given the holidays off and Sir Alex understood that Elena would need Robin right now. 

Elena and Robin had agreed that they didn't want to spend Christmas in Manchester if her parents weren't well enough to be on their own; so they had decided to hold their first Christmas together in London. 

"It's me again Dad," Elena said softly taking his hand as she wondered what she should say to him today; Robin was starting to get concerned about her and the baby since the stress of what had happened was starting to take its toll on Elena. 

"I'm sorry for disappointing you with my marriage... I really do love Robin and I hope that you can give me away at my second wedding," Elena said softly as tears filled her eyes, she felt like it was her fault that her father was like this and that she may never get another chance to tell him that she loved him and to hear it back. 

"I love you daddy," Elena whispered using the name that she hadn't called her father in years, she allowed a couple of tears to fall a she looked down at their joined hands. 

Elena couldn't imagine what she would do if he didn't wake up, she knew that her mother was prepared for the worst especially after what had happened; they could only wait and see what happened.

"Love you too, Lena..." gasped a voice making Elena jump and stare at her father, who offered her a weak smile as he stared at her with tired eyes; he couldn't remember what had happened but he could only guess it wasn't good. 

Elena couldn't believe that her father was finally awake, the doctor had said it would happen but she had been so worried that she had convinced herself that the worst would happen. 

"You're awake," Elena whispered wiping away her tears making David stare at her confused wondering why she was upset and why he was in hospital; he winced as he looked at the two casts that were on his arm and leg. 

"What happened?" David asked turning his attention back to his daughter, he had a horrible feeling and he didn't like it; he wanted answers, he racked his mind trying to remember what had happened to him. 

Elena swallowed pressing the button to call the nurse while she tried to think of ways to explain to her father what had happened; David stared at his daughter patiently waiting for answers to what had happened to him. 

"You were in an accident... you lost control of the car and drove off a bridge," Elena explained what had happened carefully making David stare at her shocked; he had thought he'd dreamed that incident that seemed to be fuzzy in his mind. 

Before David could speak, the nurse wandered into the room and smiled at him as she walked across the room and started to check him over; she was glad to see that he was finally awake. 

"It's nice to see you awake again Dr. Addams... I'll call Dr. Lawson to come to check on you," the nurse greeted making David nod as he swallowed nervously, he wasn't looking forward to this and he guessed that he was going to be stuck resting for a long time.

***

Robin was relieved that David had woken up when he had arrived at the hospital with an excited Shaqueel and Dina; who were pleased to see that David was okay and were only too happy to chatter to him and Allison about what they had missed. 

Wrapping his arms around Elena, Robin greeted his wife while the children chattered happily with her parents for a moment; he was pleased that everything seemed to be going so well for them. 

David choked on his drink when Shaqueel had called him Opa, which amused Allison to no end as she smiled at her husband; the two were thrilled that things had been sorted out between them and their daughter. 

Robin had attempted to reach out to his own parents after what had happened to Elena's but his mother didn't want to hear of it when he revealed that he had no intention of divorcing Elena. 

"You aren't cooking Christmas dinner... Dr. Lawson said you needed to rest," Elena insisted making her mother roll her eyes after she had announced that she was going to do a big Christmas dinner for the family. 

Robin chuckled taking Elena's hand, he knew that it would fall down to him since Allison and David were in no condition to cook while Elena had been told by a midwife that she needed to relax. 

"I'm fine... my shoulder doesn't hurt that bad anyway," Allison said stubbornly as she cuddled Dina who was content on sitting on her lap, she adored that she got to spend time with the children and she was hopeful that they could put the past behind them. 

David was listening to Shaqueel describe the last Manchester United match, though it surprised Robin and Elena that he seemed to be enjoying himself even if he was an Arsenal fan. 

"I'll cook," Robin offered making Elena turn to stare at him making him roll his eyes amused at her, he knew what she was thinking and he had honestly gotten better at cooking since they had married.

Robin kissed Elena softly before the nurse popped her headed into the room to tell them that it was time for them to leave, Allison frowned as she looked at her husband; who offered her a weak smile. 

They both knew that it would be a long rid ahead of him, they all knew that it was going to take some getting used to and David would have to stay in hospital until he was given the all clear to come home. 

"Go home... I'll be fine until I see you tomorrow," David insisted knowing Allison would argue with him about leaving him alone in the hospital, while they headed home for the night. 

Allison huffed and set Dina on her feet, she wasn't happy about this but there was no way that she could stay with him; she needed to sleep in her bed because of her shoulder and she would have to wait for David to come home. 

"Bye, bye Opa," Shaqueel said while Robin helped the little boy put on his coat while Elena slipped her's on and then moved to help Dina with hers; she had a feeling that it was going to be a long couple of weeks. 

Allison pursed her lips before she nodded as Dina took her good hand and smiled up at her, she adored the two children and she was hopeful that David would be home for Christmas. 

The doctors had been pleased with David's recover in the past couple of days, they wanted to keep him in to see how he would cope now that he was awake and what he was going to do when it came to coming home. 

"I'll see you tomorrow dad," Elena murmured giving him a kiss while Robin fished for his car keys; he was still a little nervous around his father-in-law even if David had forgiven him for marrying Elena drunk. 

It was going to take them all time to get over this and Robin was hopeful for the future, he didn't want to live in the past and he was determined to give Elena and the children a good Christmas.