01 || Where it began

(Perspective of: Karma)

I run through the woods, dodging trees left and right. No, I am not running from The Dead, rather I'm running for fun. I never liked to stay in groups, nor get attached to people. I hated having to feel sympathy for people after them dying. That's all that happens in this world. People die, but they don't. At least not anymore. Its almost scary how I never felt anything for anyone. Not even when my parents died.

I soon spot a squirrel on a tree. My running comes to a halt and I grab my bow. I quickly notch the arrow and draw back the string. Having the squirrel in sight, I let go. It pierces the squirrel through the skull and then the tree trunk.

"Bullseye" I think to myself

I never had the perfect life. My parents used to beat me, and sometimes starve me. I never really liked to cry because that only showed weakness to them.

I detach the squirrel from my arrow and put it on a string that is attached to my backpack.  I continue to run through the woods.  My trudging was fast, yet light at the same time. I always made sure I barley left a trail to make sure no one could follow me.

One of the main reasons my parents beat me was because I wasn't a boy.  People always treated boys better than girls. Everyone expects girls to be quiet and pretty but me, I didn't want that. I tried to impress my father by being good at combat and archery, but that did nothing. That's what my father thought I was, nothing. Still, that didn't halt the process of training.

I soon saw a plump rabbit, hopping along the ground. Quietly but quickly, I draw back my arrow.  As soon as the arrow hits the rabbit, it is sent back with from the force. I soon notice another arrow.  But it wasn't a arrow, it was a bolt.  It was from a crossbow. I study the arrow, it had yellow and green feathers with a black shaft. I look around for someone else but I can't find anyone. I walk up to rabbit and claim my small game, but I spot another person. He was tall and muscular. He seemed to be the type that wasn't friendly. I take his bolt out of my rabbit and drop it on the leafy ground.

"That ain't yo' rabbit." He hisses

I look back at him with a dull face. I don't say anything as I pick up the now dead rabbit.

"Didn't ya' hear me girl? That's my rabbit!" He exclaims.  

He points his crossbow at me, but as soon as he does, I drop the rabbit and draw back my bow.  I get a good look at his face.  His eyes are an icy blue and look like they could burn a hole through me. His hair is brown, and he has a small scruff at the bottom of his chin. Luckily, he can't see my face. It is covered by a bandana around my nose and mouth and my eyes are shielded by a pair of ski goggles.  I notice his crossbow, however, isn't aimed at my head, it's aimed a bit too far to the right. I see this as a weakness and quickly grab my rabbit and run off.

" 'AY, GET BACK 'ERE 'YA BITCH" he calls after me.

I continue running. I grab a branch of a tree and quickly scale it. I decide to wait there for a while to make sure he's not looking for me.

➳ time skip to later ➳

I make sure that's he's officially gone and climb down quietly. I begin to march out of the woods and onto an abandoned road.

"It's so peaceful,"I think.

I slowly walk down the road, but still not letting my guard down. That's the mistake everyone makes. As soon as they think it's safe, they let their guard down and they die.

I hear a twig snap and quickly notch an arrow. Hearing the sloppy pattern of walking, I assume it's one of The Dead. I un-notch the arrow and swiftly pull out one of my twin katanas that rest on my back. I walk over to it and slice the top of its head off with one swift swing. Blood is spattered on my sword and my sweatshirt. I slide my katana back into its holster and slowly walk back towards the city.