06 || Shot Through the Heart

We continued looking for a way to get to Fort Benning but there is no way for the RV to get around the cars.

We decided to split up into groups and look for places to set up camp for now. The groups were originally; Rick, Shane, me and Daryl but, Carl wanted to tag along. So we decided we needed Daryl to protect the rest of the group while they stayed back looking through cars.

I hold my katana in front of me as I slowly walk behind Rick. I keep Carl close to my side just in case.

It was a bad idea to bring him with us. He could get hurt or run off like Sophia did.

Thankfully I found her.

We walked through the woods. Rick, Shane and Carl aren't very quiet when it comes to walking in the woods.

We hear a snap of a branch and Shane and I ready our weapons but, Rick holds up a hand. The sound came from a buck.

Carl starts walking up to the deer but I get another tick. I walk up behind Carl slowly and quietly.

In the corner of my eye I see a flash of silver.

I hear a click of a shotgun and push Carl behind me. Everything seemed to go into slow-motion. As soon as Carl was behind me a sharp pain was felt near my stomach.

I turn around to face Carl to find him still in one piece. His face is struck with awe and horror. I look down at my shirt to see blood helplessly spilling down my leg.

"Shit. Carl everything is ok, I'm f...fi-"

Im consumed into darkeness

-Rick's p.o.v-

BANG

I look to see Bandit standing in front of Carl with blood dripping from her stomach. She was shot. She turns to my son who was behind her. She saved him.

"Shit. Carl everything is ok, I'm f...fi-"

"Shit!" Shane yells

She passed out. Carl turns to me with tears in his eyes.

"DAD WE NEED TO HELP HER!" He cries

The bushes start to rustle. I ready my python and Shane does the same with his shotgun. A fat man jumps out of the bushes with his hands up. The man tells us where to go and how to help

"Come on dad!" Carl yells on his knees next to the girl.

I pick up Bandit bridal style. She's surprisingly light. Carl runs ahead of me as run with her in my arms. I can't let her die. She saved my sons life.

Everything seemed like a blur. Carl is screaming at me to run faster, Shane is yelling at the man to get up and run and tell us where to go.

I'm tired of waiting for him.

"HOW FAR?! HOW FAR?!" I yell at him, sounding worried.

If I don't hurry she could bleed to death

"Another half mile. That way. Talk to Hershel he'll help your girl." He said out of breath

I keep running, afraid to loose a valued person to our group. I keep thinking about how she saved us all multiple times. As I run it gets harder and harder to hold onto her. I run to the house as fast as I can.

A large white farmhouse comes into sight in a breathtaking clearing. A few people emerge from the front door, eyes immediately falling to us.

"Was she bit?!" An old man yelled

"Shot, by your man!" I yell

"Otis?!" A lady yells

"He said find Hershel, that you?" I say as he walks toward me

He nods

"Help her please!!" Carl begs Hershel

"Bring her inside" Hershel says

We walk through the white door and into a tidy and neat house.

He starts demanding people to go get medicine, supplies and towels. Carl keeps checking on Bandit. I can tell he's worried for her.

They lay her down on a bed and surround her, pushing me out of eyesight.

"Is she alive?" Carl asks Hershel

"Pillowcase." Hershel orders

"Is she alive?" Carl asks again

I grab the pillow case and fold it like he says then I apply pressure to the wound as told. Hershel takes out a stethoscope and checks for a pulse.

"I've got a heartbeat."

I'm partially filled with relief knowing she is alive. If she lives then I definitely owe her my life.

"Its faint." He tells us

"I got it, step back." One lady says

"Maggie I.v."

"We need some space." The girl, Maggie tells me

They're conversation bounces around inside my head like a bouncy ball. I stare at her limp body thinking she could have let my son die but she didn't.

"Your name?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Hershel asked me my name.

"Rick.. I'm.. i ... i ... I'm Rick." I stumble

"Rick we're gonna do everything we can ok? You need to give us some room.......Now."