42 || Home Sweet Home

Daryl's Pov

We are running from walkers. There's too many to take on.

We find a road with a car. Beth goes over to try to start it. No avail. If we don't get out of here, we're walker chow.

"Come on," I whisper

I open the trunk to the car. Beth climbs in. I follow her into the trunk. I close it and tie it shut with a rag. That was close

Walkers begin to walk by, banging into the car. A thunderstorm erupts. I aim my crossbow at the opening of the trunk, in case it flies open. Beth is holding her knife close.

Soon the thunder stops and there are only a few stragglers left.

We still wait until all the walkers are gone.

It's morning now. We didn't sleep. No walkers are left and there's sun shining through the trunk opening.

We climb out of the car. The door is ripped off, and there are dead walkers on the ground.

we take anything useful and walk off.

/theme/

I go out hunting while Beth sets up camp. I try to shoot a squirrel but miss. My arrow gets logged into the tree and cracks. It's useless now. I break it in half.

I find a snake. I find a long stick in the shape of a Y. I take out my knife and sneak up behind it. I take the Stick and put the Y part around its neck. I take my knife and stab its head.

I bring it back to Beth. She already set up a fire and a small tent. There's a wire running around the perimeter of the camp. It had parts of the car tires strung to it, that way when someone hits the string, they will bang together and make noise.

I take the snake and skin it, pulling off all the shin and leaving the juicy muscle.

We put it over the fire and cook it. We both sit down and dig into the meat. Sitting in silence, enjoying our meal.

She finishes her part of the snake.

"I need a drink." She says

I throw her a bottle of water. She tosses it beside her

"No, I mean a real drink."

I am not risking our lives because this girl wants to get drunk

"As in alcohol. I've never had one. 'Cause of my dad. But he's not exactly around anymore so..." She trails off.

I don't bother lifting my head. I'm not going to get her alcohol.

"I thought we could go find some."

I just keep eating

"Okay. Well, enjoy your snake jerky."

She gets up and takes her knife. Why do I have to babysit her?

I get up and grab my crossbow. I let out a frustrated sigh. I lost Karma and I'm not losing Beth. Karma was Beth's best friend.

I follow the trail she left.

I find her, back up against a tree, her knife out, she is waiting for a walker to leave. I slowly walk up to her.

I lower my crossbow and start walking back to the camp.

"I think we made it away. We gotta go that way to get the booze" she says

I ignore her and step over the wire she set. She walks right into it.

"What the hell?! You brought me back! I'm not staying in this suck-ass camp!" She flips me off.

I grab her arm to restrain her from running away