Naive.

During the party,  Arden, Vinny, and Terri were no longer in my presence. I could feel a strange, tingly feeling taking control over my body. However, I wasn't drunk. I was taking pleasure in the loud music and the liquor leaving a cold breeze on my skin. People were sitting around, inhaling deeply and exhaling smoke. I have heard the stories of the joys of getting high. 

I felt someone pull me by my arm. My eyes glance over to see Justin. I roll my eyes and fold my arms across my chest.

"I don't think you should be seen with the PotHeads." he says. I just stared at him. "What? Are you drunk?" He had a small smirk on his face.

"I wish I was."

"Enjoying yourself?"

"Actually no. I lost my friends and while losing them, I found out something."

"What's that?"

 "You're the school's biggest player." I clapped my hands and started laughing.

I noticed his smile went away. "Who told you that?"

"So, it's true. Wow. I was hoping you weren't a major asshole like all those guys in SD."

I walked away and he pulled me back. "Alright, it's true. I play girls."

"Why? We aren't toys."

"It's just who I am. I can't keep a girlfriend either. I'll just cheat on her," He winks at me, "but Lucy, I was hoping we'd be friends."

"Ew, gross. Why?" I back away from him a little.

He chuckles lightly. "One, you're funny. Two, you're pretty. Plus, you're new here."

"That's no excuse."

"Are you always this stubborn?"

"Yup."

The DJ turns the knob, making the music louder. The song was Mirrors by Justin Timberlake. Justin danced a little in the spot he was standing in. I watch him as he moves. He looks good doing anything

"Dance with me?" He leans in.

"What happened to you just trying to be my friend?"

He chuckled lightly. "Okay, okay. Since we just met, officially, what would two people that would like to become friends do together?"

I thought for a second. I look up, noticing  he had this sexy smirk on his face. I could feel my stomach dropping. I didn't know what that smile means, but he was very engaging. 

I took a deep breath. "Get ice cream together. That's what Arden and I always did."

"Dairy Queen it is then. Let's go."

"In the middle of the party?"

"Just text them later. Come on." He put his hand out and I reach for it.

We walk outside and I pull my jacket closer to me. We drove around for a few minutes. His car smelt of cotton candy and cologne. I continued to gawk at the window. I could feel the awkwardness in the air. He turns the volume on the radio up a little as he changed the stations. 

"Oh, here's a good song. " He danced in his seat as he drove.

The song was by Icona Pop, I Love It. I turn my head slowly and he starts singing to me. I tried my best not to laugh at him. He was making funny faces while he singing and I caved.

"You're weird." I shake my head.

"What? That's a hit song." He continues to sing and dance.

I just glare at him. There was something about him that reminded me of Sean. Not the fact that he was a player, but just in the way he acted. His personality.  The song ended and All Of Me by John Legend played.

He turned the volume down. "No love songs for the night."

I hum the song while I looked out the window.

"You sound really good."

"Seriously?"

"Sing it and I'll judge."

"I'm good. I'm not willing to show you who Lucy really is yet."

"You said yet."

I roll my eyes and scoff lightly. "Why do you play with girls' feelings? You said you can't have a girlfriend. Why is that?"

He coughs a little, trying not to look at me. "I don't like being committed to one girl."

"Why?"

"I can't imagine myself waking up to the same person for months or even years."

"So marriage is out of the question."

"Haven't thought about it. What about you? Your boyfriend hate us player types?"

I look away. "I don't have one."

"Pretty girl like you single?"

"I don't like guys right now."

"Oh. Trying to go in a different direction?"

I hit him playfully and he laughs. "Never hit the person driving. You must not care about your life."

"I'm not interested in girls. I'm just not interested in assholes. I've met guys like you."

"Let me guess; you thought he was different."

I paused, looking at him. How'd he know that? Maybe he was familiar with his kind. The kind that fools girls into thinking he's different from the rest of the male species. 

He smiles at me. "I'm not stupid like you think I am." He pulls in through the drive through. "What do you want?"

"Chocolate-vanilla swirl dipped in nuts."

"Alright then." He left a smile on his face.

After he was done ordering, he drove the car to the next window. A girl wearing a Dairy Queen work uniform smiles as she hands us our food. Her bleached hair was pulled back in a pony tail and her sapphire eyes glisten as she grins.  

I got a glimpse of Justin smiling back at her. "Thank you, beautiful." He hands me my ice cream and I just took it.

I catch a glimpse of him winking at her before driving off.

"So, even at a Dairy Queen in the middle of the night, you still flirt with girls."

"I have the right to. I'm single, aren't I?"

"That poor girl." I shake my head.

"I wasn't going to fuck her or anything."

"Is that what you do? Promise girls the world to get them in bed with you?"

He looks at me, confused. "I don't have to promise anything. I'm all about giving love."

"But only for a short period of time."

He snickers. "Exactly."

I scoff loudly. I open the car door and slam it once I got out.

He yells. "Lucy!"

"I'd thought it'd be easy to be your friend but you're disgusting." I say, walking towards the street.

"Alright. What if I promise to not to talk about my player ways will you get back in the car?"

"No. You don't make promises, remember?"

"You're an exception."

I paused again. The wind gave me goosebumps on my legs and my neck. I looked to my right to see him in his car, looking at me through the window.

"An exception, really?"

"I guess I got  a lot to learn about you but I think you're worth it so come on."

I roll my eyes once again before I got back in the car. I wasn't sure where this was going to go but I was scared.