The Truth Is Hidden.

Justin's POV.

At school, I looked all over for Lucy.

I caught her by her locker. She was putting her books inside and I leaned against the locker, looking at her.

"She's alive." I told her.

She didn't say anything. She looked a mess. Her hair is in a messy bun and she wore a baseball tee with black skinny jeans.

"So uh. I was thinking a dinner tonight. So, we could talk?" Nothing again. "Lucy, I'm sorry, okay? But I'm over Caitlin, it was just her life was the line."

She looks at me. "I told you I wasn't going to compete with her."

"You aren't competing. If anything, you've already won. And that's me being honest."

"You can't stand here and tell me that you don't care for her."

I groaned, looking away from her. "Fine. I care. I even told her yesterday but she's not being released until maybe Friday."

"Well, then once she is, you can take her on a dinner date."

"So, what? Were through? Because of her?"

"I didn't say that."

"But you're implying."

"Justin..."

"No. It's cool. I'm tired of trying."

I walked away from her.  I went over to my locker and threw my books inside.

"Justin?" I turned to see Caitlin.

She was wearing a regular blue shirt with jeans and converse. Her hair was in a pony tail. Which was very odd because she's always dressed in something fancy.

"Wow, the hospital really changed you."

"It's a part of my punishment. No more credit card so. - Are you okay?"

"Lucy -" I froze, looking at her.

Just because Caitlin was acting nice didn't mean that she cared.

"Why do you care?"

"Another part of my punishment, I have to change my attitude. I'm working on not being a bitch." She smiles at me and I slammed my locker shut.

"She's just -"

A kid's sneakers squeak against the floor as they tripped.  A box of flowers fall and a few fall onto Caitlin. A girl in glasses and a ponytail apologizes and Caitlin just brushes them off. She picks the petals and put them in the box.

"It's fine." she nods to the girl and she stands there confused.

She just nods, walking away.

"You're scaring everyone." 

"I know."

I stared at her for a second. "You have a -"

"What?"

"A petal in your hair."

I reached it for, struggling to get it out of her hair. I threw it on the ground and she looks at me. I could tell that she was feeling weird about all of this. I just headed towards homeroom and she was right behind me. I looked up to see Lucy, looking at me. Her eyes were filled with tears and she walked away. I shoved the feeling off and walked into the classroom. The bell rings just as I sit down. 

 Twenty minutes into class, I noticed Lucy still hasn't walked in. I was worried about her. I really was. I shouldn't be because she hates me now but I had to. I texted Ryan to try to get us out of class. Within a few minutes, he arrived. Chaz and I walked out and we all stood there in the hallway.

"What's up?" Ryan asks. 

"Lucy isn't in class." I tell them.

"Maybe she went home early." Chaz says, heading back towards the door.

"Help me look for her first."

"Anything to get me out of class."

We all go in opposite directions. I looked near the girls' bathroom, the janitor closet and by the music room. I couldn't think of any other place she could be. I kept looking and once I turned the corner, I bumped into Caitlin.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked her.

"Looking for you. What did the principal want?" She folds her arms across her chest, looking intrigued. 

"You came out of the class to ask me that when you could've just text me?"

"Yup."

"I'm looking for Lucy."

"She probably went home."

"I doubt that. Even though she hates my guts, I doubt she went home."

"Why does she hate you?"

"She thinks we still have a thing for each other."

"Me and you? That's hilarious." 

She starts laughing and I look at her and her smile disappears.

She clears her throat. "Why don't you just tell that poor girl the truth?"

"The truth? I have and she doesn't believe me."

"Depends on which truth you told her."

"Which tr - What?"

"Did you tell her there's nothing going on or did you confess that you still do care?"

I froze for a second. How did she know?

"I told her -" Just at that moment, my phone beeps. I digged in my pocket to get it out.

"Just be honest with her and she'll be fine." she continues. 

It was a text from Chaz. It was a picture, I opened it to see a picture of Lucy.

I looked up, "PotHeads."

"What?"

"He got her."

-