Chapter 16: My Own

Chapter 16: My Own

After some time the dragon lifted its head off my lap, pushing its weight into a sitting position and stared at me. Now I could get a better look at the creature and be fascinated by its piercing teal eyes, the random spikes which came out from its body that used to seem deadly but it doesn't to me anymore, the reflection and shimmer of its black and white scales which gave off the silver effect. As I slowly started to push myself up off the ground I decided to make my way over towards it. This time it didn't let the sounds around us scare it off but instead it pushed itself off the ground mirroring my actions and slowly came towards me. The instinct inside me told me to lift up my hand towards it, something inside me told me it wouldn't hurt me, it wouldn't try and bite my hand off. I let our eyes connect with one another as each of our steps started to get closer and soon we were centimetres from each other. I held my hand in place now feeling the hesitation in my heart expanding and my breathing intensify. My eyes immediately closed as I started muttering to myself, telling myself that everything would be okay that this creature won't hurt me. Suddenly I flinched in my body language as it slowly closed in on itself. My shoulders hunched and my head buried itself inwards as this immediate warm, scaly texture placed itself on my palm.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and noticed right in front of me the creature placed its head on my hand. I smiled at the image before me and traced my hand over its head and only its body with a smile getting bigger by the minute plastered on my face. This feeling was incredible, right here right now I was amazed at the sight I had been placed in and I didn't want the moment to go away. It was like everything in the past few days had been ripped from existence because this was the best part of it all. "You're beautiful," I told it, even though I understood that it would never talk back; instead it nuzzled its head against me and let me wrap my arm around it which created a hugging position. We pulled apart from each other with me still keeping the smile on my face. I knelt down and picked back all the bags with my stuff in and started to head back to my aunt's house but still felt a presence behind me. I looked behind to still see the dragon following my actions. "Look thank you for what you did back there, but I'm fine now. You don't need to stay," I told the creature but instead of turning its back on me it pushed me forward with its nose as if an indication for me to keep walking. So I did with the dragon following my lead. From time to time bag I held over shoulders would fall down and I had to keep pulling it back up due to its weight. It didn't bother me much because I knew that I only had a few more metre to go, but if you looked to my side you would see the dragon eye-balling the bags falling down my arm repeated and the small growl of annoyance which came from its throat.

Eventually, it slowed down behind me and the bags which I felt upon shoulders were lifted. I looked round behind me so the dragon lifting the bags off away from my shoulder with its teeth and chucked behind so that it landed neatly on its back. The intelligence the creature held astounded me even more but I couldn't help but laugh at its sassy nature as well. I smiled at it just as it lifted the last bag away from me to soon stand next to me nuzzled me one last time before carrying on the journey to Yvette's cottage. The journey felt much easier and quicker than it had done before probably because all the bags just drowned my weight, every time I went to lift one of the bags off the dragon because I felt bad that it was carrying all my things it would just whack me with its tail and let us carry on walking. It seemed the creature also had an attitude. Along the journey I couldn't get Jayden out of my head. I didn't want him there but he was and I didn't know how to get rid of him. When I thought about it more deeply, he knew me and I knew him but it wasn't in the same scenario. I obviously knew him because of my dream but he knew me from somewhere else because he stated; if I remembered correctly, that I was never stupid. The key words being 'I was never' which clearly indicated we once knew each other.