Chapter 41: A Broken Relationship

My heart was hammering, I was frozen in my spot; my head diverted in slow motion to look at Hayden whose eyes were fixated on the woman standing before us...the woman who was our mother. My breathing I noticed started to get faster as my mind went completely blank with leaving me in what felt like darkness. Except there was one question: how was I supposed to handle what comes next? It was a moment of realisation, I'd never thought about this day and I mean how could I have done I only found out yesterday about all this and now she stood in front of me. There's been no time to let the news sink in, I've had no time to register it properly. How am I supposed to react? How am I supposed to speak to her I don't know? Yet she was stood in front of me so I knew I had to think fast otherwise these next moments to come are going to become very uncomfortable. When I decided to let my eyes fall back on the two women who stood before Hayden and me, my eyes automatically landed on her. I felt so far away from her even though she was standing near but for once in my life I actually had nothing to say; in a way it was unsettling. "Mother, what are you doing here?" Hayden's voice sounded sharp almost aggressive as well as he didn't let his gaze fall of our mother. That was another thing, I couldn't grasp hold of the fact that now I had to call another person my mother; I've spent my whole life calling who I thought was my mother, well mother but when in reality she's almost like a step-mother to me because she isn't of my blood. My real mother was standing right in front of me; but I was right as I looked upon her she looked almost nervous yet there was also a glow about her though that glow was only directed onto me because that was the only place her eyes would settle.

"I just asked you a question!" Hayden's voice rose and the growl of anger which I believe he tried to keep hidden was exposed; it seemed however Hayden kept being ignored as no one would answer him, it was as if he wasn't even stood right next to me because even Yvette's gaze was focused on me. "Willow, this is -," but I cut Yvette off as my voice finally broke through the block in my throat "Elyria..." at the same time my voice was low and lost, I was still lost in the moment, I still didn't know how to handle what was right in front of me. Elyria's gaze wouldn't fall off me, it was starting to make me uncomfortable but at the same time my eyes wouldn't fall off her. "Hi Willow," that's when she spoke for the second time, her voice was soft and gentle sounding welcoming and the nerve that I was feeling started to disappear but only very slowly. "Do you even see me?" now my head diverted back to Hayden but so did Elyria's, yet through the corner of my eye I noticed the glow that Elyria gave was now gone it was as if it vanished entirely. Finally though, she met eye contact with her son who still bore a dreadful glare of anger across his face "Hayden please, don't talk like that," Elyria tried calming her son down but it seemed as if Hayden was going to listen just as Elyria wasn't listening to him "Like what mom, don't talk like what? Anger, frustration please tell me," but she wouldn't instead her gaze fell straight back off him with nothing else to say. It hurt me to watch that so I couldn't imagine what that must feel like for him. Elyria made sure however, her gaze fell back on me and in doing so I noticed the glow fall back into place. It didn't feel right...it didn't feel right at all.

"Seriously, you're going to ignore me. What sort of mother ignores her own son?" the questioning to his voice connected to the rage was starting to become uneasy for the atmosphere around us and I didn't like it "Hayden come on stop," surprisingly it was me that spoke and I didn't know why, I knew inside that right now this must be killing him so why would I tell him to stop? Was it because I thought that maybe it's the right thing to do, would he lose control if he carried on acting this way? "Why? I'm not going to stand for that," when Hayden spoke to me the rage was gone, it was as if all the aggression was wiped away and he suddenly felt somewhat safe again. I stared at him with concern and sincerity because I didn't want him doing something he'd regret so slowly I held his arm so we could head the other direction back to my room. The atmosphere before the pair of us was awkward and uneasy; we shouldn't be confronted with such a thing at least not right now. If she came at a different time then maybe things would be different but here, right now in this moment of time it wasn't appropriate in a way it felt like torture. "Willow wait please. I just want to talk to you," Elyria called after me, I stopped where I was stopping Hayden in the process and looked round at her slightly where she appeared to have moved closer in front of Yvette and towards me looking more eager than she did before "Why should I talk to you?" I asked, maybe I didn't want to say it but at the same time it seemed like the right thing to say but possibly not the safest thing to say.