• eleven •

Trey
Monday, September 25

"Finally!" I heard Kiara exclaim when I walked into the gym. Today was her first day of gymnastics, so I'm picking her up later than usual.

"You wanna leave that bad?" I chuckled and gave her a hug and kiss.

"They got me doing too much, daddy. I'm gonna faint."

Dramatic. Another trait she got from her mama.

We were preparing to leave when I saw Janay and Naomi. Hm, I didn't know she put her child in gymnastics too.

They seemed to be having a heated conversation. What could a five year old and her mother possibly be arguing about? I stood there so I could find out. It's not that I'm eavesdropping, but my ears just happen to hear what's being said, ya know?

"Mommy, I'm tired of eating outside food. I want something real for once."

"Restaurant food is real, sweetie. I'll take you to your favorite one."

"No! I want something cooked from home."

"You can't. You know grandma is out of town. Who else is gonna cook?"

Damn. So she still can't cook huh? That's one of the many reasons why I never cuffed, to be honest. My mind was telling me to stop being nosey and mind my business, but I felt bad for the poor girl.

"Yo, Janay." I spoke up.

"Uh hi Trey."

"How bout you and Naomi come over for dinner." I don't know what possessed me to say that but like I said, I felt bad.

"You think that would be a good idea?"

"I mean, you wouldn't want your daughter to have a home-cooked meal?"

She rolled her eyes, "Nah we're good."

"You're lying, but it's cool. Don't ever say I wasn't being generous though." I shrugged and began to walk away.

"Kelly wouldn't even be okay with it." I heard her say.

"Well obviously i'ma ask her first."

I stepped off to the side and dialed Kelly's number.

"Yes baby." she answered.

"I gotta ask you something. But you can't get mad."

"What did you do?"

"Now what makes you think I did something?" I laughed.

"You don't want me to get mad, so that's what I'm assuming."

"Well you know what they say. Don't assume, it makes an ass out of u and me."

"...I'm this close to hanging up the phone." she joked. "Ask your question."

"So I'm at the school, and I was about to leave with Kiara when I overheard Janay and Naomi talking. I think they eat takeout food like everyday."

"Everyday? The hell? Does she not cook?"

"I'm pretty sure she doesn't know how. She couldn't cook when we... yeah."

"She can't cook anything? What the hell, she has a child! That's honestly sad. Even Bey knows how to cook now that she has three kids."

"You gotta chill." I laughed.