• fifty three •

Kelly

"So we pulling up to Solo's house together?"

"Yep, I'm coming with you just in case." Bey replied.

I squinted my eyes, "Just in case of what?"

"Well, you know... Your temper mixed with Solo's temper... not a pretty sight. I gotta be there to regulate."

"But why would we lose our tempers to begin with? I just got a few questions for the girl."

"Kelly, your idea of twisting people's arm is different than mine. You tend to be a little... aggressive."

I scoffed, "I do not!!!"

She pursed her lips together and looked at me like I just proved her point.

"...I do not." I said a little softer.

"Yes ya do. And Solo gets aggressive right back. What's gonna happen is you're gonna ask her the questions, she's gonna be difficult, you'll start to get irritated, she'll start to get irritated, you'll say mean things, she'll say mean things, then next thing you know I gotta stand in between y'all before y'all start throwing hands."

"Oh my gosh, Bey!" I laughed. "Chill. Her and I haven't gotten into a heated argument like that in years. I'm not gonna jump down her throat or anything, I'll ease into it. We gon act like we just came to hang out with her, ya know, keep her company since Julez is in Houston with his dad til next week. We'll catch up, gossip, and then I'll casually bring up the divorce. If she doesn't wanna tell me anything then cool, we'll just move on. We can even bring the kids so it won't seem like an intervention."

"First of all... knowing you, you're not just gonna 'move on.'" she said, giving me a side eye.

"No I really will! I'm getting the impression it might be something heavy, so I know there's a chance she won't tell me right away. I can be patient."

"Mhmmm. Second of all, you act like we have a choice on whether or not to bring the kids as if Jay's not at your house and the nanny's not on vacation."

"Oh, true." I chuckled. "So are we heading over there now?"

"Yeah, lemme call the kids down—"

We were interrupted by Trey running into the living area with Jay on his trail holding TJ and Sir's little feet running next to them. Trey and Jay both looked like they had just seen a ghost.

"What y'all doing here? Y'all alright?" I asked.

"We have to go." Trey said to me in a serious tone.

"Uh, Bey and I were actually on our way to Solo's house but y'all can come too if y'all want—"

"Kelly something happened with La." he blurted out.

"Aw shit. Chris is mad at her ain't he?" I responded. He must've found out about her going to Carmelo's house. This won't end well.

"She was found in Kiyan's room..."

"...Because she wanted to go get him while Carmelo's away at some event. I already know about this."

He took a deep breath and ran his hand down his face. "Baby, I need you to listen to me very closely." He walked up to me and placed his hands on my shoulders, looking me in the eyes. I felt the energy shift in the room real quick and I didn't like it. "Kiyan wasn't in the house when La thought he would be. He was out playing ball. When he got home, he found her on the floor..."

My mind went into a daze as he continued to speak. It was almost like his voice was floating over my head, because there was no way what he was saying was real.