• fifty •

Kelly
Tuesday, December 24

"La, are you sure you don't wanna come over tomorrow?"

"No." she said abruptly on the other end of the phone.

"No as in you're not sure or...?"

"Kelly I'm not coming."

"But it's Christmas!"

"What gives you a reason to believe I'm in the Christmas spirit right now?"

"It's understandable that you may not be but damn it La you haven't left the house since the day of the incident. At this point it's not even about being in the Christmas spirit, I just don't want you sulking around by yourself on a day where you're supposed to be around people you love."

"I'm not gonna be by myself though. There's honestly no sense in me coming to y'all when I could just stay here. I know you'd rather be cuddled up with your man while spending the day with the kids, especially since it's TJ's first Christmas. Why would I disrupt that? Y'all don't really want me there."

"Girl I'm literally inviting you over, how would you be disrupting us?! Of course I want you here! I wouldn't be on the phone begging you if I didn't."

"Ya know, this entire time you've been talking about me coming over when I got a whole plus one and you haven't mentioned his name not once."

I made the stankest face one could ever make when I realized who she was referring to. "I mean, isn't it a given that he would come too?"

"You tell me."

"I don't know what to tell ya honey."

"Kelly don't act like you don't know what I'm getting at. I know y'all got into it last week, he told me all about it. Would he be welcomed into your house?"

"That's literally my husband's best friend, there's no way he wouldn't be welcomed. I'm not clueless or heartless, I'm aware that if you're coming then he'll obviously be coming with you. It's not like I would send him away."

"Okay yeah, but it's like why would he come over to begin with when he knows there'll be tension between y'all."

"Girl I ain't worried about that man."

"You refuse to say his name..."

"Cause I ain't worried about him." I repeated, annoyed at this topic of conversation. "I'm only worried about you and your wellbeing. Any other shit on the side is irrelevant to me. I'm not tryna force you to come but—"

"You kinda are though."

I pursed my lips together as tightly as I could to block what I really wanted to say from coming out of my mouth. I was so tired of it being implied that I'm pushy and dominating when in reality I just want the best for everyone. But if I was the type of bitch to be dismissive of my friends' problems and only care about myself, I'd be wrong right?

"Noted." I finally managed to say.

"I'm just being honest Kelz, don't get all upset. It's not that I don't appreciate you for being there for me but if I'm not feeling something then why force it upon me?"

"Ok. Have a great night Alani." I said passive aggressively before hanging up.

This shit was beyond me.