• fifty one •

Kelly
Friday, December 27

"Kelly this shit sound hot."

I've been downstairs in the studio all afternoon finally trying to dip my toes back into this music shit. Trey had introduced me to a few producers some months ago as an attempt to motivate me but I never contacted them and showed any interest, until yesterday. I hit them and told them I wanted to start recording and amazingly, they already had a song ready for me.

"I like it so far but I dunno, it feels like something's missing." I said doubtfully.

One thing about me when it comes to my music is that I'm my own worst critic. I refuse to put anything out until I feel like it's absolutely perfect. If I sense one little flaw, an entire project will be put on pause until that tiny detail is fixed, even if it's something that no one else could possibly notice. Obviously I know I'm not the only artist who's a perfectionist but the difference with me is that my perfectionism holds me back instead of pushing me forward, which explains why the gaps between my album releases are so many years apart.

I'm sincerely working on myself though, and if that means locking myself in the studio until I get something done then so be it.

"It sounds pretty complete to me. You could deadass put this out right now and it would be fine." Citi, the lovely lady who wrote the song commented.

"You sure girl? Maybe I can add some more ad-libs to the second chorus. Put a lil stank on it."

"Kelly you don't need all that. The song is meant to be smooth and sensual, so less is more."

I stared at her blankly as everything she just said went through one ear and out the other.

She playfully rolled her eyes, "Fine, get in the booth. Harmonies only though, no stank. We'll save that for another song."

I smiled smugly, standing up about to head over to the booth when footsteps coming down the stairs caught my attention. All of a sudden Trey appears, looking just as confused as I was at him popping up in the middle of my session.

"Boy did you not see the red light was on?" I scolded.

"That's why I came down. I thought I must've left it on or it was broke. The last thing on my mind was the thought of you being in here." he teased.

"Well I am and you're interrupting." I said, shooing him away.

"Actually, he's just in time." Citi chimed in. "Trey maybe you can convince her that this song is perfect and she don't need to do anything else to it."

"You mean to tell me she actually finished recording a song?" he gasped. "I gotta hear this."

"No no, it's not finished yet. You can hear it when it's done now byeee." I said quickly while trying to usher him out.

"Nah, Trey you can stay, we'll go." one of the producers, T-Why said. "I think our work here is done for the day. We'll leave the rest to you bro. Hit us up when you're ready for it to be mastered."

"Wait!"

Before I could even protest, they were already dashing up the stairs. I scoffed and crossed my arms, then looked at Trey from the corner of my eye cause I could feel him staring at me.

"Damn, so you don't want ya own man to hear what you been working on? My feelings are hurt." he said, pretending to be offended.

"Baby it's not even like that. I'm just not done with it yet."

"So?"

"So, I'm not about to let you hear some mediocre ass shit. If I'm presenting something to you my love, it's gotta be the best."