• forty nine •

Kelly

"How was your day princess?" I asked Kiara as we walked through the parking lot after picking her up from school.

"Great! My class is having a gingerbread house contest on Friday!" she replied excitedly.

"Ooooh sounds like fun. Should I go out and buy the supplies? What you want me to get? M&Ms? Sprinkles? Colorful icing? You'll definitely need some graham crackers, marshmallows—"

"Mommy, slow down." she interrupted. "My teacher is already giving us everything we need. Don't be extra."

"Girl what did you just call me?!" I gasped, acting offended. As if I wasn't already constantly being tried by everyone else, here comes my own daughter trying to check me too.

"What?" she shrugged. "Doesn't daddy call you that all the time? And Auntie BB, Auntie Chelle, Auntie Solo, Godmommy—"

"Uh okay I think I get it, thank you." I said sarcastically. "The correct word you're looking for is 'dramatic.' Either way, just because they say it doesn't mean you can, miss ma'am. Stay in a child's place."

"Okay okay, sorryyy." she giggled, clearly finding it entertaining to get under my skin. "Anyways, she said whoever's team wins gets free pizza after Christmas break. So don't pack me any lunch that day."

"And what makes you so sure your team is gonna win?"

"Cause I'm on it, duh."

"I know that's right babygirl." I laughed, giving her a high five. Trey and I have proudly been instilling confidence in her since she was little, and as you can clearly see, we definitely succeeded.

I helped her into the backseat, hopped into the driver's seat and started the car, about to pull off when an incoming call from Trey caught my attention.

"Yes baby." I answered.

"Where are you?" he asked urgently.

"Watchu mean where am I? You know I'm picking Kiki up from school. We're about to be on our way home. What's wrong?"

"You got me on speaker?"

I disconnected my phone from the Bluetooth system in the car and put it to my ear. "Not anymore. Now what's going on, cause you're scaring me a bit."

"Some shit went down earlier."

"Meaning...?" I said slowly, growing more concerned.

"...They're taking Kiyan away from La."

I held the phone away from my ear for a few seconds, making a face while trying to figure out if I really just heard him say that nonsense.

"Tremaine stop playing on my line."

"Why would I joke about that? Chris just told me something happened with her case and the judge granted full custody to Carmelo for 90 days."

Every bone in my body tensed up once everything he said finally sunk in and I realized he was actually being serious.

"They granted what to who?!?!" I yelled. Lord knows I wanted to holler every curse word in the history of curse words but I had to use all the power in me to restrain myself for Kiara's sake.

"It gets worse. Apparently she had caused a scene which led her to get charged with contempt of court and they arrested her—"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY ARRESTED HER?!"

My blood was boiling. This was the last type of news I expected to hear today. The last type of news I ever expected to hear, for that matter.