• sixty five •

Kelly
Wednesday, June 25

"Good Afternoon beauties!"

Today was La's birthday, and she insisted that the only thing she wanted was to finally find the right wedding dress. She has searched everywhere both online and in-store but nothing had the perfect feel. So she invited me, her mother and her bridesmaids to this fancy lil boutique because she felt like that extra support might lead her into finding what she's looking for.

She was the first person I greeted, "Birthday girl!"

"Hey Kelz! You're looking mighty radiant today."

"As are you, my love." I kissed her cheek then moved on to say hello to Mama C, my other girls Ciara, Gabby and Serena... and Kim K.

"So sorry I'm late." I said.

"Surprise, you're actually right on time. I told you noon but the appointment is really at 1."

"Now why'd you do that?"

"Because I already knew yo ass would be late so I gave you a grace period. It worked."

I cringed, "The fact that you had to do all that... I feel bad."

"Girl don't, we're used to it by now." Gabby laughed.

"Just another perk of being the matron of honor." Kim mumbled under her breath sarcastically thinking I didn't hear. I chose to ignore it.

Her and I were friends once upon a time but ever since La and I had moved to Miami together years ago, she started acting funny. I thought we would've became close again when I moved here but instead it turned into a constant battle to one-up me when it comes to La. I don't know if she thinks I'm trying to take La away from her or what. Like, since when can't two mutual friends co-exist?

All I know is her little "beef" with me is petty and one-sided. If she feels so threatened then maybe she should just step her shit up. But I digress.

"Hello ladies, welcome. Can I interest you in some champagne?" the store owner said as she approached us.

"Yes please." we all replied at the same time. Now they're starting to talk my language around here.

"Be right back."

"So La," I began, "did you have a specific type of dress in mind or are you open to anything?"

"Well being picky hasn't gotten me anywhere so far. I don't have much time left so at this point I have no choice but to be open-minded." she replied.

"I have faith in this store. I heard they got some of the best designer dresses in the country."

"I've heard that too. I'm hopeful but the pressure is on. The wedding is only a month away."

"Babe I don't want you to stress about nothing today, just have fun with it. We're all here for you and we gotchu. You will say yes to the dress by the end of this session hunny."

"Gosh you're so corny." she said, laughing at that last sentence.

The owner came back with a serving platter of champagne and little appetizers. Then she took La to the back to find some dresses to try on.

"So how y'all been? Cici how's Russell and the little ones?" I asked.

"They're so good. The kids are a little sad cause they wanted to come down here with me but they'll be iight."

"When are you going back to Seattle?"

"Literally tonight."

"Oh girl, they'll be fine." I chuckled. "Serena how's my little Alexis?"