• fifty five: part two •

Kelly

"I'm so sorry..." Lala's doctor said to me and Trey once we arrived in front of her hospital room.

"No... No no no, please no."

"We didn't expect for it to happen like this..."

"Nooooo! Please don't do this to me! She can't be gone, she just can't!" I sobbed as I fell to my knees. I could feel Trey struggling to pull me back up but there was honestly no point.

"Wait wait wait, hold on, wait!" the doctor shouted over my cries. "I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying! I thought Mr. Brown had told you but I guess he didn't... Ms. Vazquez is awake."

I paused and looked up at her, studying her face carefully. She better not be fucking with me, because those words felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. For the first time in hours it was like I could finally breathe properly.

"...Are you sure?" I asked slowly.

"Yes, 100 percent."

"Oh my goodness." I stood up and brushed myself off, quickly getting myself together. "Do you scare all your patients' families like that?! Like damn! What were you even apologizing for?"

"Disturbing your sleep. I mean, it is 4am."

"Excuse my language, but fuck sleep! You just gave me everything I needed and more. This is amazing!"

"Indeed. It's a miracle, actually. She's very lucky to have only been in a coma for a couple of days so it didn't take too long for her to come around. She can move and talk but her voice is very hoarse. She's expected to make a full recovery physically but there's just one problem—"

"I have to see her!" I exclaimed, running towards the room.

She called out after me, "Mrs. Neverson, before you go in there I should probably tell you—"

I wasn't tryna hear her right now. She just told me the exact news I've been praying for and that's all I was focused on.

I bursted into the room to see Chris, Kiyan and La's parents crowded around her.

"Oh thank you Jesus!" I praised. "Chris why you ain't tell us she was good?! You really had us shook."

Just seeing her back to life, eyes open and moving around brought so much joy to my heart especially since there was a huge part of me that thought I would never see that again. I quickly approached her and just held her, careful not to hurt her of course because she was healing from her injuries.

I pulled away from her and she just stared at me blankly like I was some stranger. Damn, she must still be upset about our last phone call. I got some work cut out for me to fix that.

"Hey beauty." I smiled. "I know we have our differences right now and I may not be someone you wanna see at the moment but just know that I love you girl, and I'm so happy you're okay."

"Do I know you?"

Ouch. That shit kinda stung but I guess I deserve it.

I sighed, "Alright, I'll take that. Whenever you're ready to talk things out, I'll be here."

"Kelly that wasn't shade." Chris said. "She lost her memory. She doesn't know who any of us are, she doesn't even know anything about herself."

"Huh? No way. You're kidding."

"I wish. The reason I didn't tell Trey about it over the phone was because I was having a hard time believing it myself."