• fifty eight •

Lala
Monday, January 6

No longer able to see. No longer able to move. I'm helpless.

The only sounds my ears could capture were my own piercing screams and the insulting words he was throwing at me while he hit me mercilessly, my body growing weaker with every blow.

It would be perfect timing for Kiyan to be coming up the stairs right now to save me, but then I realized his fate would be no better than mine.

My son should no longer have to be punished for my actions. This battle is between me and his father and I guess this is how it ends.

"Melo... I- I think that's enough." I heard from a familiar voice. Never did I think the same girl who vowed to make my life a living hell would be the one to come to my rescue.

"Get back in the room."

"Please, just stop hitting her."

I was finally lifted off the ground thinking he was done, only to be slammed against the wall and having all the air in my lungs choked out of me.

"CARMELO!"

"Bitch get the fuck out of my face and back in the room like I said or you're next."

I refuse to believe this is the way I was gonna be taken out. But as my body dropped to the floor and my life flashed before my eyes, it was becoming more clear that this was the end. Everything I worked hard for was pictured right in front of me like a movie but the more I tried to focus on it, the more it faded away.

A distant bright light was calling my attention and I fought to keep my eyes from closing. In the manner of seconds it became harder and harder to breathe, and that's when I knew to listen to my weakened spirit and follow wherever the light was telling me to go.

"I hate it had to come to this, but you've tested me too many times. Dumb ass lil hoe. That's why I paid the judge to take your son away from you. Now he's gonna be with me forever. I won, bitch-"

"Alani!" I felt someone shaking me causing me to get out of my head.

"Where am I?!" I blurted out when I realized it was Chris.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just came down to get some water and I heard you screaming. Were you having a bad dream?"

"Am I dead? Did he kill you too? Where's my baby, oh my God where's my baby!!!" I struggled for air as I frantically looked around me.

"La what is going on right now? Take a deep breath and tell me what you saw." he said, taking a seat next to me and holding my hands.

"I need to get out of here. I have to leave before he finds me!"

"Before who finds you?"

"CARMELO. If he knows I'm still alive he's gonna come finish the job!"

He just sat there and stared at me, looking shocked for some reason. "Oh my God..."

"What? Do you know where he is? And where's Kiyan, is he the one who found me? Chris if you know something you have to tell me!"

Tears filled his eyes as he pulled me into his arms. "You remember."

I've never been so confused, disoriented and scared in my life. What the hell is he talking about?!

"Christopher please let me go, I can't stay here." I began to cry and he cried with me, though I didn't even know what he was crying about.